Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 F150 4.6l Electrical Issue - Everyone is scratching their heads...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 F150 4.6l Electrical Issue - Everyone is scratching their heads...

At the moment there is a shutdown issue, for lack of better terms, where after my truck is started or running, there are 4 things that kill and turn the truck off. (Even while driving down the road.)

-"Shutdown" conditions-
(a) Shifting into gear from park - Sometimes, more often than not, when I start up the truck and try putting it into gear, it immediately dies. I've tried going from park to reverse, park to drive; same result. Truck also has a hard time starting after this shutdown happens in all cases.
(b) Once truck is running/warmed up, shifting into park/reverse - This consistently happens, I start it, get lucky and get into gear, drive a ways, and then I go to either put it into park or reverse, and it dies. And symptoms from (a) continue intermittently for anywhere from 10-40 mins before I am back at case (b)
(c) Turning on high-beams - This happens when in park, or even while I'm driving down the road. I was going 35 down some tight corners at night, turned on the high beams, and it died. Once it dies, its back to cycle (a) for who knows how long.
(d) Turning on instrument/dash lights - Yes, even turning the lights that illuminate my instrument panel and dash can kill the truck.

-Auto shop work done-
-coil not operating on passengers side, replaced that coil.
-code reading showed entire drivers side was misfiring and bad O2 sensor, replaced O2 sensor, still misfiring.
-did compression test, results came back ranging from 170-185, good compression.
-they also testing the fuel pressure and spent a lot of time trying to diagnose the misfire issue.

-Testing-
I did two tests in the last couple days, both times I left the truck running in idle in my driveway for about an hour and a half. The first time I tried simply putting into gear, it died immediately. Then next day, did the same thing, got it into gear, then while it was in gear, I turned dash instrument lights on, then it died.

-When "shutdown" symptoms started-
I had the truck in Hawaii where I bought it for about a year, drove it all the time, never once had any of these issue(s). A lot of that year the truck was on blocks getting a whole slew of things replaced and fixed. Then we had to move to WA, so I shipped the truck home, picked it up in Seattle. Drove it to Costco nearby to get gas, drove it down to the ferry, drove it on the ferry and then when I went to drive it off the ferry, I started it, but then it died when I put it in drive and cycled through condition (a) for about an hour after they pushed me off the ferry.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:24 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

have you checked the alternator out put...
Old 02-16-2019, 07:29 PM

Both O'Reiley and AutoZone did not have the right mounts to test my alternator, or so they said.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:35 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 337 Likes on 251 Posts

I know you think it's electrical, but mine died randomly when I had a dirty throttle body.

Have you tried cleaning your TB and your MAF?
Old 02-19-2019, 07:33 PM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by trueb.lawrence
Both O'Reiley and AutoZone did not have the right mounts to test my alternator, or so they said.
what alternator do you have?
Old 02-21-2019, 01:00 PM

have not, will do. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-21-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by DarrinT04
what alternator do you have?
its stock, not sure atm, i'll check
Old 02-21-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ReaperHWK
I know you think it's electrical, but mine died randomly when I had a dirty throttle body.

Have you tried cleaning your TB and your MAF?
have not, will do, thanks for the tip!
Old 02-21-2019, 01:08 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

Have you checked the condition of the FPDM? Salt will corrode and cause strange conditions. Maybe an internal short is causing this:

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/fuel-pu...-yours-152908/

Old 02-21-2019, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by tcp2
Have you checked the condition of the FPDM? Salt will corrode and cause strange conditions. Maybe an internal short is causing this:

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/fuel-pu...-yours-152908/

oh interesting, this sounds a lot like what it could be as well. Especially because the truck was in Hawaii most of its life so...makes sence, I'll check that too. Thank you!

Quick Reply: 06 F150 4.6l Electrical Issue - Everyone is scratching their heads...