Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 f150 5.4 2nd trany issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 f150 5.4 2nd trany issues

Hello. I have searched the forums for 3 days now looking for someone with my issues and I can't find anything that fits so I'll post them here.

2005 f150 5.4L triton 140k miles 2wd.

On new years day I was driving on the interstate apx 65mph and the transmission started down shifting erraticly on its own when I would let my foot off the gas. Drop from overdrive to 2nd or 3rd like I'm trying to pass, and then back up to overdrive without me hitting anything.

Then the truck died out on my while driving, and I suspected it was the TPS sensor, so I replaced it.

The truck smoothed out for a day and now the symptoms have returned with a few other symptoms.

It still downshifts from od to 3rd or 2nd when I let my foot off the gas. And in addition, after I have been driving for 25 30 mins, I will come to a complete stop and the truck will try to jerk forward on me like a clutch disengaging while my foot is on the brake. Also sometimes but not every time when I take off, my engine will act like it's in neutral and Rev up to 2500 or so r pms before 1st gear engages and then slam into gear.

This is my daily driver to work 6 days a week. I can't afford to have a new transmission put in so any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by robertsmb
Hello. I have searched the forums for 3 days now looking for someone with my issues and I can't find anything that fits so I'll post them here. 2005 f150 5.4L triton 140k miles 2wd. On new years day I was driving on the interstate apx 65mph and the transmission started down shifting erraticly on its own when I would let my foot off the gas. Drop from overdrive to 2nd or 3rd like I'm trying to pass, and then back up to overdrive without me hitting anything. Then the truck died out on my while driving, and I suspected it was the TPS sensor, so I replaced it. The truck smoothed out for a day and now the symptoms have returned with a few other symptoms. It still downshifts from od to 3rd or 2nd when I let my foot off the gas. And in addition, after I have been driving for 25 30 mins, I will come to a complete stop and the truck will try to jerk forward on me like a clutch disengaging while my foot is on the brake. Also sometimes but not every time when I take off, my engine will act like it's in neutral and Rev up to 2500 or so r pms before 1st gear engages and then slam into gear. This is my daily driver to work 6 days a week. I can't afford to have a new transmission put in so any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
sounds like you need a rebuild. Sorry bro.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:06 PM
Master Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I fixed my 04 5.4 triton w/ auto 4x4 XLT

My tranny was jerking like crazy then I got a misfire on #4.

It is your igniters and boots. I had a misfire on the #4 and moved the igniter to #1 but not the boot and plug spring (master technician so I know how to troubleshoot these types of problems). It misfired again on #4 so the boot? I bought a set (8) for about $60.00 on-line because local Ford shop way too high on price.

When replacing bots and springs I noticed the tab the spring connects to heavily corroded. I cleaned with (R) Tri-Flow (anti corrosion properties) and after it started running much better I thought that the misfiring, not detected by computer, clogged up my combustion chambers and cat. I put 3 cans of BG 44K down my tank for next 3 tankfuls (2 cans for first tankful due to 28.6 gal tank then 1 can for half a tank and drove it on the highway to blow out) and my truck runs like brand new.

Long story short. Transmission is fine except for a little wear and tear from being so confused which gear it needed to be in based on the commands from the computer relying on the ignition spark to guide it.

I hope this helps a lot of people. Free of charge.

Quick Reply: 05 f150 5.4 2nd trany issues