Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 F150 4x4 Clunk Troubleshooting

Old 11-30-2014, 11:50 PM

Received 177 Likes on 132 Posts

Default 05 F150 4x4 Clunk Troubleshooting

Hi all, looking for some diagnostic assistance with my 05 F150 4x4 system. What I've got going on, is when the truck is running and in any gear, whether it be Drive, Neutral, or Reverse, and I turn on the 4x4, I get either a 'card in a bike spoke' sound coming from the front left, or a binding sound from the front that will pop and then do it again at random times.

From what I can tell, the drivers side IWE must not be meshing and engaging all the way, causing the card in the spoke sound, or the CV grabbing and then letting loose and popping.

Now, the weird part is, is that if I shut the truck completely off for a minute or so while in 4x4, and then start it up and take off, the 4x4 works fine and makes no noise. From reading up on how the IWE operates, the solenoid releases vacuum when engaged, so that the IWE grabs the CV.

From that assumption, I can assume that the IWE is ok, as it works fine when I start the truck from being off. I would also think that the vacuum lines are ok, as they seem to be doing their job and the IWEs aren't randomly engaging or disengaging without me toggling the 4x4 button.

I would also think that the solenoid is good, because it's A.) just over a year old - I replaced it when I bought the truck so that I would have the updated solenoid with the shroud, and B.) It doesn't appear to be loosing vacuum pressure when the 4x4 is engaged and working properly.

I am thinking that on cold startup, the solenoid runs a bit higher and applies a better vacuum than when I call on it while the truck is running - leading me to think it may be a faulty solenoid or an IWE that is just about done and takes a little extra "oomph" to engage, or there is a possibility that the new solenoid is bad. Any suggestions on where to go from here?
Old 12-01-2014, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

almost positive this is your problem watch the whole video and he tells you about the rain hood you need after you replace your iwe hub i had this same problem i got my hubs off rock auto for 60 bucks I think.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:53 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Could be a couple things. Plugged or iced vacuum line. Rusted or iced IWE spring collar. Worn IWE and/or hub gear teeth. I'd start by getting a vacuum gauge on the lines at the IWEs.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like I have a few things to test out.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:55 PM

I was able to jack the truck up tonight and do a few vacuum tests. The driver's side appears to be working as it should, it grabs and releases the CV shaft when it should, and the front driveshaft spins the CV shaft and tire when it should.

The passenger side, however, is another story. When I turn the truck off while its being problematic, the passenger side doesn't spin at all - in fact, the CV shaft doesn't move when I turn the front driveshaft, and the wheel does not spin, or spin the CV shaft.

I unplugged the vacuum line from the passenger side IWE and plugged the line, and the drivers side continued to function as it should, while the passenger side stayed in the locked up state mentioned above. I didn't hear any vacuum being released when I unplugged the line from the IWE, either.

Any suggestions on what it may be? It seems to be isolated to the passenger side assembly at this point, but it seems odd that a failed IWE would not allow the CV to turn at all when turning the front driveshaft and the tire off the ground. If the IWE was locked in, I would think turning the driveshaft should turn the CV shaft, and the wheel.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:21 PM

Ignore that last reply; the passenger side wasn't spinning because the CV shaft was maxed out (non-OEM, shorter "bar").

I ended up borrowing a vacuum gauge and throwing it on both IWE's - the passenger side would start to drop vacuum as soon as it was applied. I replaced that side this afternoon, but it looks like the driver's side must be damaged, as well; I still get some noise as it tries to mesh. I would assume it has worn teeth from not getting full vacuum because of the passenger side.

Not a bad job to do though - I had everything apart and replaced in a half hour!

I would highly suggest a vacuum gauge for others having IWE problems; it makes tracking things down so much easier. I was able to tell that the passenger side had vacuum by feeling the hose, but I would have never been able to tell that the IWE wasn't holding proper vacuum if I didn't have a gauge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 F150 4x4 Clunk Troubleshooting