Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 xlt weird issue please help!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 xlt weird issue please help!

Hi guys, love the forum and ive got a weird issue, lets start with my f150 tho. I got an 04 xlt 4x4 w/the 5.4, its got 180k on it but runs strong. The other day while driving I started hearing this loud and crazy grinding noise (I think from the rear) and my radio shut off and dash lights strting coming on. I pull over and battery is dead, alternator of course right? ... but I jump it, meter the battery and the alternator starts charging again up over 14v. Truck drives flawless for a few days and now its totally dead in my driveway. I checked fuses, battery connections, looked for body ground straps that may have come off or rusted (didnt find any) The battery is recent and holds a charge. I notice a little differential fluid around the bell housing but its not enough to even drip on the pavement. Also, I went over this large bump on the highway through road construction shortly before this started, dont know if its related. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Have the new battery load tested, as even though it's new, it may have a bad cell. Also have the alternator tested. It may have a bad diode (bridge rectifier that converts AC to DC).

I suspect one of these two to be your issue. Steer clear of cheap rebuilt alternators.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info, would that also explain the loud grinding noise? maybe something not receiving enough voltage to operate properly?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by Eman2500
Thanks for the info, would that also explain the loud grinding noise? maybe something not receiving enough voltage to operate properly?
That part has me stumped...you said you thought the noise was coming from the rear, and I cannot think of anything "voltage wise" that would make a grinding sound if it was getting low/no voltage.

Is it a 4x4? Even then, they are vacuum controlled I think (wheel "lockers"). I may be wrong on that one.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:03 PM

Default Update

Ive checked the battery and alternator and those are good, I noticed a good sized spark when connecting the battery and narrowed it down to a thicker (6ga I think) battery cable. The draw is so large it blew the 20amp fuse in my meter. Its not the cable to the alternator its a standalone cable with a label sticker "B" on it. Any Ideas on this one? Im not sure what would draw that much current, I believe its something in the rear of the truck I hear a ticking on occasion and it all started around the same time. This is really driving me nuts! Thanks
Old 06-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

The spark came from the possitive cable ??? a lead goes to the alt and the other to the starter...follow the ground wire down to the frame ...it attaches somewhere or it needs to be...
Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 PM

Try disconnecting the alternater and see if your draw goes away. This is not uncommon.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:54 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

I think those larger cables are "fusible links". One goes to the alternater (this is the wire that the alternator uses to charge the battery). A second one goes to the starter, and a third feeds the fuse panel (main feed to power everything that's off the fuse panel). These links are meant to "melt" or open up if the current draw on them is too much.

The spart you experienced tells me something is drawing off of the battery, hence your battery draining in a couple of days.

Is there any accessory (non factory) that was wired to your truck? If so, check those first. The next step would be to remove the battery cable, remove all your fuses, install your meter between the battery and cable, then one at a time, install a fuse and see when the meter jumps, showing a large draw. Then check your owners manual for the electrical devices that are on that fuse. One of them is the culprit.

Another source for the clicking (and large draw) would be the starter motor. If the solinoid is stuck, it could be causing the starter gear to mesh with the flexplate (flywheel), causing your grinding sound. By now however, I'd think you'd have difficulty starting the truck though.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 PM

Default Similar issue...

I had the same thing happen to me today. When the"grinding" noise came on, I noticed my brake light and ABS light was on. When I stopped at the next traffic light, the grinding noise stopped, and so did all my electrical components...

Did we ever find an absolute resolution to this issue?

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:55 PM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Eman2500
Hi guys, love the forum and ive got a weird issue, lets start with my f150 tho. I got an 04 xlt 4x4 w/the 5.4, its got 180k on it but runs strong. The other day while driving I started hearing this loud and crazy grinding noise (I think from the rear) and my radio shut off and dash lights strting coming on. I pull over and battery is dead, alternator of course right? ... but I jump it, meter the battery and the alternator starts charging again up over 14v. Truck drives flawless for a few days and now its totally dead in my driveway. I checked fuses, battery connections, looked for body ground straps that may have come off or rusted (didnt find any) The battery is recent and holds a charge. I notice a little differential fluid around the bell housing but its not enough to even drip on the pavement. Also, I went over this large bump on the highway through road construction shortly before this started, dont know if its related. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Perhaps when you went over a bump something must've been shaken up. I don't see how the grinding noise would've been attributed to your electrical issues, though. Would you be able to post a pic of the differential fluid leak? Because if it is at the bellhousing then I think that would be a b***h to fix.

Originally Posted by Bucko
Steer clear of cheap rebuilt alternators.
Bucko is right, stay away from cheap *** rebuilt garbage. You can get high quality 100% new alternators and starters for only a bit more than a rebuilt unit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 xlt weird issue please help!