Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 ford f150 5.4L 3v triton

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 04 ford f150 5.4L 3v triton

Hi guys! I bought a 04 ford f150 5.4L 3v triton off a guy today. The truck is running weird. When you first start it it sits there and idles fine. Now when you start to accelerate it acts like its not running on all cylinders. Once it warms up it doesnt do it much but still does it. The guy said the plugs were changed and also a new fuel filter. The truck has around 280 something thousand miles. The Guy also said He took it to a garage and they fixed wires or something underneath and he said it ran great after that. Now its doing the same thing agian. On the cluster is says engine fail safe mode. I put my computer on to check codes and it brought these up
1.p0102
2.p0113
3.p0174
4.p0300
5.p0306
6.p0307
7.p0316
8.p2106

The check engine light is on. The truck is kinda sluggish. Can anyone help me out with this. Thanks for any info!!
Old 01-30-2018, 06:52 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Go get your money back... you have several mis-fire codes, which could be causing other stuff.. I would start with new plugs/boots and springs.. who knows what the PO did or had done.. you bought an 04 with 280K miles on her.. timing components may be shot.. no maintenance history... could be a money pit.

Last edited by techrep; 01-30-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:53 AM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

@scot91 I have absolutely NO BUSINESS challenging anything @techrep says -- I am well familiar with his expertise.

But I have the exact same truck - darned near same number of miles, perhaps similar limited budget, and you may not be able to get your money back just as I can't.

SO: I took a little closer look at your list of codes, and a couple of things pop out to me. Yes you have misfire codes - random, 6 & 7 and on startup (1st 1000 revs). And with those miles - almost anything is possible. But mine is at 231K miles and runs/performs like a champ. I would try to look past those misfire codes for one second an bare down on the P0102 and P0113. You didn't mention but the OP may have monkeyed around with the intake air system? Many think it's a cool idea or cute or adds power to change up the air intake. Maybe a CAI.

Yours is having trouble measuring intake air flow and intake air temp. Both (part of the MAF sensor) and are paramount in establishing proper fuel mixture. If the mixture is too fuel rich - it will result in a P0174 code. (Lean code is produced because injector pulse width is increased > ~ 30%). All this _COULD_ be causing your misfires. No guarantee, but all codes need to be cleared so it's a matter of which one to attack first.

As for the P2106 - most likely a completely different issue. There is a constant rationality check performed against Accel Pedal position, Commanded throttle plate position, direct feedback from throttle body plate response to the command, RPM, and vehicle Speed sensor (on the transmission). All that STUFF has to match up or you get 'limited power'. Remove the throttle body - give it a good cleaning (make sure cleaner DOES NOT get into the actuator, but make sure the actuator can move smoothly). And make sure all plugs and connections are clean and connected firmly.

Then see what happens.
The following users liked this post:
techrep (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:02 PM

So should I clear all the codes? And also clean the throttle body? I also talked to the guy today and asked what he replaced and told me he replaced the Mass air flow sensor, both variable timing sensors, both cam sensors and plugs. Plus fuel filter
Old 01-30-2018, 11:53 PM
LightningRod

I've actually grown to be less concerned about clearing codes than I used to be - since I can read them easily and any time I wish. The CEL doesn't hurt anything except our feelings. I'm more interested in how it runs / performs than having the light out.

Lot a codes takes a drive cycle or two to come on after a reset anyway - AND the PCM will reset/clear the code if the problem goes away. You'll likely have a CEL from other codes anyway, so you'll be reading them again. Sorta a backwards way of looking at codes, but doesn't matter whether you reset them or not right now.

Basically, I'd try to make the intake air / Temperature codes go away by CHANGING SOMETHING - making sure all electrical connections to MAF are solid, and that ALL the intake air passes it.

I think you need to attack those first, and go from there.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:41 AM

Ok ill start changing a few things. Ill also go through the electrical connectors and see if I can't come up with anything. Ill get back to you after I go through it. I appreciate. All the help so far.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:52 PM

Ok I finally got to work on the truck agian. I believe its fixed now hopefully it runs alto better. Here is what I done. I removed each coil inspected them they were all good. I also checked the spark plugs were tight and like 3 of them on the drivers side were loose but I did get them tightened down. I also got some mass air flow sensor and throttle. Body spray and cleaned the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body. Yes i removed both to clean them. But I'm keep driving the truck and see what happens.
The following users liked this post:
F150Torqued (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:05 AM
LightningRod

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to hear when someone holds 'Murphy' hostage for a bit.

Without knowing the trucks history - with that many miles, it may need timing chains / guides before very long if they haven't been replaced already. It would be good service life ALREADY if they haven't.

Also - if you are new to the 'O4 - '07 models of the 5.4L Triton, read up all over this and other Forums about the spark plugs. You mentioned three were loose.... Good - meticulous - Spark plug jobs (including Torque) are critic on these engines to avoid misfires. It is a common, touchy problem point on these engines.

And, misfires (under the common light load condition) causes any slack in timing chains to slap the hell out of (and break) plastic chain guides. Then everything goes downhill from there. So don't let it develop misfires and ignore them. It could continue to service you well for a long time.
Good luck

Quick Reply: 04 ford f150 5.4L 3v triton