Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 F150 needs new hubs

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 F150 needs new hubs

Pretty sure my 04 XLT supercab needs new hubs up front. Couple months ago while helping my father in law cut firewood at my dads house I noticed my truck wouldn't engage 4 LOW but it was engaging 4 Hi. Thought it might have been the solenoid under the hood even though I'd replaced it last year. Fast forward to two weeks ago we got hit with a few inches of snow on top of ice. I drove it to my dads house to visit the next day after the storm hit. Realized I had no power to the front wheels after stopping at a stop sign on an uphill slope as the rear end started walking to the right as I gave it some fuel. Had my first chance to get under it last night at a friends house. Pulled it in the garage, set all four corners on jackstands. Sure enough, no power to front wheels and there was a nasty grinding noise coming from the front right side. Buddy who was under the truck confirmed everything is operating up to the hubs. My question is, How difficult and expensive is it to replace them. I'm not a pro mechanic but I can do some things. Been changing my oil my self for years, replaced at least 3 water pumps, belts, hoses, done my brakes one my own trucks as well as my parents and siblings vehicles. I've also replaced the radiator in my wife's 06 Explorer.

Just wondering if this is an easy diy job for the average joe like me? I know a guy who can do it but he's booked up for awhile plus I like learning how to do things like this. Should I attempt or wait for a pro? And what tools are required?
Old 12-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

not that hard...little more than a brake job... look at rockauto.com for your IWE's
Old 12-22-2013, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not hard at all. I replaced mine for about $180. I dont remember where I got them from. I think it was a dealer off of a forum, dont think it was this one though
Old 12-23-2013, 05:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good quality IWE's, like Moog, can be had for around 2 bills each (shy away from the cheap bargain brand far east knock-offs). Changed mine out in about 45 minutes on each side. You'll need standard hand tools, plus a good size breaker bar or impact gun for the big bolts holding the knuckle on. Calls for 250 ft lb (I think) to retorque. I just used a big Snap On breaker bar to tighten and some blue locktite puting back together. That was 2 years / 30,000 miles ago. Has been perfect since.

Stealer wanted 550 each side to do it.

Quick Reply: 04 F150 needs new hubs