Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 f150 heritage CLUTCH HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 04 f150 heritage CLUTCH HELP

ok so to begin with this ran fine prior to replacing a slow leaking rear main seal... so my husband who isnt a newbie to mechanics... been doing this for years as his own mechanic so he knows his stuff... but this is stumping him... note this was fine prior to... so he replaced the seal and got everything back together went to bleed system as he had to put new tranny oil in... mercron i believe was what was recommended ... gears would not engage with motor running... but when off gears were smooth as silk... yea i know i was the usual assistant lol.... but when truck runs refuses to go into gear.... so was recommended to pump clutch 15 times and leave sit then repeat... then try Shifting again... clutch was fine... so he got it to shift but still very hard to get into gear while running... been taking it to work... now his pedal is hard as a rock wont go anywhere and blew line to slave... new slave too BTW... anyone have an answer?? As i have stated before we have been driving it all this time and no issues with shifting
Old 07-13-2019, 12:00 AM

Received 277 Likes on 245 Posts

Since you have a 2004 F-150 Heritage, you need to be asking this in the 1997-2003 forums.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:20 AM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Burch
ok so to begin with this ran fine prior to replacing a slow leaking rear main seal... so my husband who isnt a newbie to mechanics... been doing this for years as his own mechanic so he knows his stuff... but this is stumping him... note this was fine prior to... so he replaced the seal and got everything back together went to bleed system as he had to put new tranny oil in... mercron i believe was what was recommended ... gears would not engage with motor running... but when off gears were smooth as silk... yea i know i was the usual assistant lol.... but when truck runs refuses to go into gear.... so was recommended to pump clutch 15 times and leave sit then repeat... then try Shifting again... clutch was fine... so he got it to shift but still very hard to get into gear while running... been taking it to work... now his pedal is hard as a rock wont go anywhere and blew line to slave... new slave too BTW... anyone have an answer?? As i have stated before we have been driving it all this time and no issues with shifting
It's not unusual to have to pump the bearing over 100 times. It's unusual that your husband went this far for the seal and didn't replace the bearing while it was apart.

*Just looked up the paper work I have for a new McLeod clutch and bearing and it says up to 250 times.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why it is an 2004?
Old 07-14-2019, 08:06 AM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

why it is an 2004?
It may say 2004 on the title, but it's a 2003 underneath. Just leftover parts they used when they started making the new model. You'll get better help asking people with the same pickup as you.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:38 AM

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,682 Posts

why it is an 2004?
2004 Heritage and 2004 new body style are completely different trucks. I know it’s confusing, but you basically have a 2003. There will be a lot more people there with the M5OD manual transmission. There are very few in the new body style.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Is is possible the line got pinched in between the bell housing and engine block?

Wasn’t a Ford, but my friend and I once did this on his early 90s Chevy... Clutch was rock hard from the start though... We went to really put some pressure on it thinking it was just stuck and blew the line.

The other guys are right about not many manual trans trucks on this board. Hopefully the other forum can get you some more opinions.

Quick Reply: 04 f150 heritage CLUTCH HELP