Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04 cam 3v cam phaser fixed with oil??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 cam 3v cam phaser fixed with oil??

So I bought a used 3v with 165k and shortly after i bought it, it threw code p0345. I changed the camshaft sensor thinking it was the problem without researching the true problem. So about a week later the light came back on with the normal symptoms, i.e. knocking sounds and rough idle. The dealer warranties the work and told me the oil was low. Is this a common issue that causes the problem? And if so does that mean I may be in the clear?
Old 05-13-2019, 08:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How "low" was the oil? If it was too low and caused this, I would suspect other issues are or have developed. How is the truck running now? What work is the dealer warranting? Did they do a timing job on the engine before you bought it? How much time is left on your "warrantied work"? I would suspect that they are trying to get you out of the "warranty" period by pacifying you with a "low oil" claim. My guess is that you will need to do a timing job. You could drop your oil pan (non-reusable gasket) and see if you have plastic in there, if you do, those are your timing chain guides that have busted. Also, while in there, make sure the oil pickup tube screen is not blocked.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4Fun
How "low" was the oil? If it was too low and caused this, I would suspect other issues are or have developed. How is the truck running now? What work is the dealer warranting? Did they do a timing job on the engine before you bought it? How much time is left on your "warrantied work"? I would suspect that they are trying to get you out of the "warranty" period by pacifying you with a "low oil" claim. My guess is that you will need to do a timing job. You could drop your oil pan (non-reusable gasket) and see if you have plastic in there, if you do, those are your timing chain guides that have busted. Also, while in there, make sure the oil pickup tube screen is not blocked.

The truck is running beautifully. My guess is the place they used to change the oil only put 5 quarts in. The dipstick is hard to read with the bend but looked ok to me when I bought the truck. And i know there are no oil leaks. It's been around 7k miles since the oil fix. I have changed the oil myself twice just to make sure they didn't overfill or run heavy oil. As far as I know they did not do the timing job. I have looked in the oil fill and noticed there is oil flowing. I plan on having the truck for awhile and know I'll need a timing job eventually. It was only a 3k mile warranty so it's way out now. Thanks for the fast response!!!
Old 05-13-2019, 03:42 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

2 quarts low could cause that, in theory. But, I also would be mentally prepping for a timing job in the near future. 04s were the worst year for failures...
Old 05-13-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 650NutKase
2 quarts low could cause that, in theory. But, I also would be mentally prepping for a timing job in the near future. 04s were the worst year for failures...
Ain’t that the truth (for pretty much everything on the truck). Coming from an ‘04 here...

Last edited by dukedkt442; 05-13-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 04 cam 3v cam phaser fixed with oil??