Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

04-08 instrument cluster issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 04-08 instrument cluster issues

Hi, I am new to this forum though I have found many many answers here in the past !!!
I now have an 05 f150 FX4 TUSCANY edition and the speedo cluster is driving me crazy ! (short trip)
The gas gauge is erratic and shows random levels depending on when I start the truck. Sometimes when I use the remote starter (by Ford) it pegs all the way beyond full.
Also, does anyone know where the mileage data is stored ? in the cluster somewhere or in the main computer ?
In case I have to replace the whole cluster I certainly dont want to pay dealer prices ( WOW ) for it.
I know computers and dont see anyplace for memory on the board of the cluster.I have had it apart trying to change bulbs (what a pita)
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SIDNEI
Hi, I am new to this forum though I have found many many answers here in the past !!!
I now have an 05 f150 FX4 TUSCANY edition and the speedo cluster is driving me crazy ! (short trip)
The gas gauge is erratic and shows random levels depending on when I start the truck. Sometimes when I use the remote starter (by Ford) it pegs all the beyond full.
Also, does anyone know where the mileage data is stored ? in the cluster somewhere or in the main computer ?
In case I have to replace the whole cluster I certainly dont want to pay dealer prices ( WOW ) for it.
I know computers and dont see anyplace for memory on the board of the cluster.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Mileage is stored in the cluster (and the computer). So if you are thinking of getting a new one it would have to be updated by a dealer, also how old is your battery? A bad battery can cause erratic gauge movement....

Last edited by 18_F-150_XLT_Screw; 03-10-2013 at 11:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SIDNEI (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 11:10 AM

thanka for the suggestion sometimes you forget the obvious. I will load test it
Tomorrow and post the results.
Thanks

SID
Old 03-15-2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by SIDNEI
thanka for the suggestion sometimes you forget the obvious. I will load test it
Tomorrow and post the results.
Thanks

SID
I had the the battery/alternator/charging system checked all came up good (kudos for Midas of Doylestown) I took out the cluster today and it seemed like some of the needles were scraping on the face of the panel ,I pulled a little away and they seem to be moving better,a couple days will tell.

Quick Reply: 04-08 instrument cluster issues