Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xl order question

Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default xl order question

I know I am in the minority on this order, but I am close to pulling the trigger on an XL, ecoboost, max tow, hd payload, power windows/locks, cruse, bench vinyl seats. I have a messy, muddy nature about me so carpet and cloth seats become a problem after a few months on the road. The Ford build site indicates that this combination is about $2k less than the XLT version with the same equipment. My question is:

Does the XLT actually have more sound insulation and other non-advertized build-quality items than the XL?

Does the flip down center console/armrest not have cup holders or storage as shown in the XL photos?

If anyone has the vinyl seats, How is the comfort? I put about 30k miles on a base Chevy in my work and the vinyl bench is plenty comfortable for me. So, let me know how you feel about the Ford seat.

Generally, what is the $2k savings actually costing me as far as quality other than carpet, cloth, and chrome (trim and wheels).

P.S. The only other Ford pickup that I have ever driven is my Dad's '69, still sitting in my driveway.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:50 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

Underneath they are all the same..... From xl to platinum the guts are equal. (Except awd transfer case and open, limited slip, locking rear ends)

The extra $ for an xlt is on the inside and the outside.
The following users liked this post:
Jerryb1973 (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 01:52 PM
The Macho King

Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts

Truth, the flip down center console does not have cup holders in an XL
Jerryb1973 (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 2011 XL supercab 4x4 with tow package, power package and XL plus package. I've got the vinyl seats and rubber floors, fold down seat with no cup holders, floor shifter for 4x4, and I love it! I'll get some pictures up when I'm out of work.

The vinyl has been pretty comfortable for me, longest I've driven is a 6 hour trip and was comfortable the whole time. Girlfriend woke up from her 2 hour nap on the ride up and couldn't stop talking about how comfortable the truck was.

I have cup holders next to my 4x4 lever, not on the slide out drawer under my seat, so they're pretty accessible for me.

I'm glad I saved the $$ and didn't go with the XLT they were trying to sell me, I love the truck.

As I said, I'll get you some pictures in a bit
Jerryb1973 (09-24-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 10:27 PM
(A random northerner)

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

i find them to be incredibly comfortable; a million times more comfortable than the computer chair that i am sitting in at the moment.

i'm coming from a ranger and a honda civic. the ranger is nice, but not as wide, soft, or high off the floor and the civic is ... well... it's pretty much complete crap.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a xl lobo so it has the vinyl seats and floors its so easy to clean ever thing off, just spray the floor right out with the garden hose and dry it off... love it so far!

Last edited by rallyf150; 10-31-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

I think you can also order the XL with a center console that has cup holders. I too was looking into this combo months ago because with the kiddos, cloth seats can become a mess quick. Couldn't find one though so I went with the XLT. My XLT has the center jump seat but I don't like the layout of it so down the road I'm going to swap in a center console.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo
Underneath they are all the same..... From xl to platinum the guts are equal. (Except awd transfer case and open, limited slip, locking rear ends)

The extra $ for an xlt is on the inside and the outside.
I believe once you hit the Lariat and above level you get extra sound deadening built into the cab.
Below the Lariat I have not heard of any differences.

fyi, you can get the XLT with the rubber floor if you want. At least for 2012 you could.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a 2012 xl and cloth or vinyl seats didn't make a price difference. I didn't want seats that don't breathe, got seat covers to go over the cloth. Hopefully the seats won't wear out from getting in and out this time around.

There is a little black plastic (I guess plastic) thing that pulls out/forward close to the floor on the center seat area. It has a cup holder on the drivers side and a similar depression with a little container that probably is for ashes or coins on the passenger side. Keeps the spills down low.

I don't know about the towing mirrors or the sliding rear window which I couldn't order in xl trim level. Maybe these items can be added piece meal in xlt.

Last edited by Franny K; 10-31-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 PM
(A random northerner)

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

i had an OEM rear slider installed aftermarket by a glass guy that i go to on my XL. it wasn't as cheap as it would have been as a factory option but it was only about 50 bucks more with the trade in value of the OEM non-slider that the truck came with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: xl order question