Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring aux. backup lights--- Wiring experts welcome!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring aux. backup lights--- Wiring experts welcome!!

Guys and Gals,

So I wired my new backup led lights a month ago, and have decided that I want to also have them wired to an independent power source coming from the battery/switch in the dash I am adding.

Since it is already wired into the reverse harness from the 7way plug, I should add a diode to this wiring.

My question is, what do I look for in a diode? Where can I get them? Obv. 12v... but how are they classified? I want to minimize the voltage drop through the diode as well... Any electronic guru's opinions would be appreciated!
Old 01-08-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts

why are you putting in a diode? why not tap power from the 7 pin harness to power a relay? Trigger it from the rev lights and/or the switch in the cabin?
Old 01-08-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I used a relay with a constant from my battery and a switched lead from the reverse wires on the back of my trailer wiring hookup. Install a three way switch so you can have it in manual, auto, or completely off. Simple but functional.

Last edited by Waterfowler41; 01-08-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Waterfowler41
I used a relay with a constant from my battery and a switched lead from the reverse wires on the back of my trailer wiring hookup. Install a three way switch so you can have it in manual, auto, or completely off. Simple but functional.
That is what I was thinking. I think the orange on the 7 pin is always hot, I remember reading that here, but DOUBLE CHECK. I have done a lot of wiring since then haha.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:19 PM

I started off by tapping into the reverse wire at the 7-way plug. Which is great, lights turn on when in reverse. But I do a lot of trailer hookups and such and want the ability to turn them on ALSO when in park via the switch. But I don't want the tailight reverse bulbs coming on when I flick the switch, so the diode was to stop the back feeding into the previously wired section, thus only allowing power to flow to the led lights.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by KingArthur
I started off by tapping into the reverse wire at the 7-way plug. Which is great, lights turn on when in reverse. But I do a lot of trailer hookups and such and want the ability to turn them on ALSO when in park via the switch. But I don't want the tailight reverse bulbs coming on when I flick the switch, so the diode was to stop the back feeding into the previously wired section, thus only allowing power to flow to the led lights.
why would the tail lights lights come on when you flip the switch? They would not be hooked up to the relay.

The relay would switch on from a switch or the reverse light / the trailer plug where ever you wanted to tap into

Last edited by sigma pi; 01-08-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:53 PM

the tail lights would come on if I just wired it together because the power would travel from the switch to the junction where the power from the trailer plug is, and feed towards the lights, yes.. but also enter the trailer harness and activate the reverse bulbs because they are all wired together.

How would this relay be wired? I thought a relay could only be triggered by one thing such as a switch... therefore not leaving a lead for another trigger??
Old 01-08-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 233 Likes on 158 Posts

I have my back up lights hooked up to the battery through running through a standard 12 vdc relay. I have it switched so I can turn it on and off when I want.

My back up lights are very bright and I don't necessarily need them to turn on when backing up every time. Plus, I can turn them on whenever I'm messing with my trailer, etc.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Old Smoky
I have my back up lights hooked up to the battery through running through a standard 12 vdc relay. I have it switched so I can turn it on and off when I want.

My back up lights are very bright and I don't necessarily need them to turn on when backing up every time. Plus, I can turn them on whenever I'm messing with my trailer, etc.
right, but I want that option plus having them come on in reverse.. so I think that is where a diode is used to prevent back feeding of power into wiring that should be getting any...
Old 01-08-2015, 05:06 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Schottkey diode
10 amp, 100 PIV*

Quick Reply: Wiring aux. backup lights--- Wiring experts welcome!!