Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring 5 pin rocker switch..

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring 5 pin rocker switch..

Hey guys. I have two of work lights I am installing but just need a bit of advice when wiring the switch. I have a 5 pin rocker switch (can find them cheap on Amazon) and I am just wondering how I connect the wires so the switches light up when the dash backlights come on and also dim with dash lights if possible. I have a 2012 super crew xlt. If anyone needs pics to help answer my problem I'll try to post them tomorrow or when requested. Hope you guys can help me out.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:11 PM

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Switch or relay?
Old 01-13-2016, 12:27 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I don't think you can make it illuminate with the dash lights. Typically the two upper pins are power in, the two lower are power out to the load(s) and the middle is ground to illuminate the switch. Depending on how you configure the line and load terminal positions, you can make it illuminate when the load is turned on OR illuminate constantly, but not illuminate from an outside source. I'm assuming this is a dual pole-single throw (DPST) switch.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Post a picture of the switch. If your switch looks like this one you need to first jump the top two pins as shown. The middle then only gets one line in and is not jump the bottom left (looking at pic) goes to the light and the bottom right gets tied in from a keyed switch, I have mine tied into the dimmer switch via a ttap to the purple wire. This will let the text on the bottom of the switch light up and when the switch is on the top will assuming thats what you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails Wiring 5 pin rocker switch..-switch.jpg  
Old 01-13-2016, 05:00 AM

Heres a look at my switch
Attached Thumbnails Wiring 5 pin rocker switch..-img_2951.jpg  
Old 01-13-2016, 07:24 AM

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Pretty good explanation here.
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2016, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by fball1208
Post a picture of the switch. If your switch looks like this one you need to first jump the top two pins as shown. The middle then only gets one line in and is not jump the bottom left (looking at pic) goes to the light and the bottom right gets tied in from a keyed switch, I have mine tied into the dimmer switch via a ttap to the purple wire. This will let the text on the bottom of the switch light up and when the switch is on the top will assuming thats what you are looking for.
That's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! My switch is exactly as shown in your picture. Instructions weren't the best and slightly vague.
Now is it just a straight purple wire behind the dimmer switch?
And from I understand that means that when the dash lights are on the bottom of the switch will turn on then when I turn on the lights the upper part of the switch will turn on as well?

Is there any way to get the switch lights to dim with the dash as well?

Also do I have to run the online power to switch direct from the battery? And should I have a fuse on that line? (Harness doesn't include switch for that wire)
Old 01-13-2016, 07:43 AM

Mictuning Universal [12 ft 2 Lights] Led Light Bar Wiring Harness with ON/OFF Rocker Switch Kits - LED Light Bar Red, Electrical - Amazon Canada Mictuning Universal [12 ft 2 Lights] Led Light Bar Wiring Harness with ON/OFF Rocker Switch Kits - LED Light Bar Red, Electrical - Amazon Canada

Thats the harness and switch i had bought for my worklights and reverse lights im installing. Unfortunately I cant take pictures of my exact switch and harness as i have to be socially responsible and work today.. But I think i understand how it needs to be hooked up now. Just is there any way to dim the switch with the dash lights or is it just gonna be on at all times?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:11 AM

Mine dims when you dim the lights manually.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:50 AM

Thats awesome. Exactly what i want. So you said you tapped into the purple wire behind the dimmer switch?

Quick Reply: Wiring 5 pin rocker switch..