Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Washer Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Fluid?

So last night i ran out of the original tank of windshield washer fluid on the middle of I-35 in Kansas.

At my next fuel stop I went into get a jug and got bug wash because bugs were smashing my windshield like crazy, and the dude ringing me up said new vehicles can't take the fancy Rain-X bug wash stuff because it's "more viscous" and clogs the system. Seemed like a watery consistency to me.

I figured he was an idiot, but bought regular fluid just in case, since it was 2am and I didn't have time to google that crap.

So confirm for me, is that dude dumb or is he possibly correct?

Owner's manual says not to use bug wash or additive fluid fyi/fwiw

Side note: how many jugs does a 2012 F-150 take of that fluid?
Old 08-16-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I must of missed that quote in my owner's manual. I've been using Prestone Bug Wash in my truck with no issues.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:22 PM

It says:

Only use a washer fluid that meets
Ford specifications. Do not use any
special washer fluid such as
windshield water repellent type fluid
or bug wash. They may cause
squeaking, chatter noise, streaking
and smearing.
I feel like it would be fine to use Rain-X and other things.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by schizbomb
It says:
Only use a washer fluid that meets
Ford specifications. Do not use any
special washer fluid such as
windshield water repellent type fluid
or bug wash. They may cause
squeaking, chatter noise, streaking
and smearing.

I feel like it would be fine to use Rain-X and other things.
What is should say is: Don't buy anything inexpensive at Wal-Mart, Auto-Zone, Target, etc. Buy only products that have the Ford logo on them and cost 10X what we should be selling them for.

I swear, if they wouldn't try to charge me $50 for a $10 air filter, I would let them change it for me everytime it is in. They have already done the work (removing it to see if it is dirty). Just take a $10 one out of the box and put it back in.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Some fluids tend to slick up the windshield and the wipers will skip or streak, but I wouldn't worry about it if its a name brand product, just stay away from the unbranded ones. Ones that are branded Rain-X, Prestone, etc. work just fine, but beware, there are some "bug" type washer fluids that will freeze, so check the label to make sure its good to -20, or you might be in for a nasty surprise one cold morning. It may be summer now, but that doesn't mean you will use up all your fluid before winter hits. We had some of that stuff, didn't know it wasn't freeze proof and found the crap had frozen in the tank, and we didn't have any washer fluid at all. One of those holy s**t moments.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by acdii
Some fluids tend to slick up the windshield and the wipers will skip or streak, but I wouldn't worry about it if its a name brand product, just stay away from the unbranded ones. Ones that are branded Rain-X, Prestone, etc. work just fine, but beware, there are some "bug" type washer fluids that will freeze, so check the label to make sure its good to -20, or you might be in for a nasty surprise one cold morning. It may be summer now, but that doesn't mean you will use up all your fluid before winter hits. We had some of that stuff, didn't know it wasn't freeze proof and found the crap had frozen in the tank, and we didn't have any washer fluid at all. One of those holy s**t moments.
If it ever got to -20 in San Antonio I would be worrying about something other than my washer fluid! hahaha
Old 08-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Ford Freak

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

I use Rain-X with bug remover in my washer can, never had a problem, and I use it all the time.

Did you know that JC Whitney sells a windshield washer heater kit? It heats up the washer fluid before it comes out the nozzle, so the hot fluid melts the icy windshield faster.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:03 PM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

I use the orange rain x in every car i have owned and never had any problems.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 PM

I got a jug of the orange Rain-X
Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

rainx also makes a washer fluid "additive". it comes in a 16oz bottle and you put 4 oz to 1 gallon of whatever fluid you are using. its puts a rainx treatment on every time you use the washers. ive found bugs and dirt dont stick as bad or get baked on since ive started using this. but as far as the topic at hand... no, you will not have any problems with "not normal" washer fluid.

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Fluid?