Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Performance Chip void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:14 PM
fdw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will Performance Chip void warranty?

Im interested in increasing HP's and MPG's and wondering if a performance chip would void the factory warranty. If the warranty is NOT affected can anyone advise on which brand, model, with real life HP's and MPG's increase?

Thanks,
Old 10-28-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it wont. The only valid denial of warranty work is if Ford can show that a modification is responsible for the issue. However, for practical purposes, how will you prove it didn't cause it if they say it did?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:11 PM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^EXACTLY. If Ford decides to deny a warranty claim due to a modifcation that they in fact are responsible for, they do have a much larger legal department that can probably stall things indefinately leaving the consumer w/a non-working vehicle. If the mod didn't cause the problem but yet Ford says that it did, what are you going to do while it is fought out via the lawyers?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:12 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by txatty
No it wont. The only valid denial of warranty work is if Ford can show that a modification is responsible for the issue. However, for practical purposes, how will you prove it didn't cause it if they say it did?
^This^ So if you do get one and need to take the truck into the shop just return your PCM to stock and remove the Tuner and all evidence it ever resided in your vehicle.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 PM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BassAckwards
^This^ So if you do get one and need to take the truck into the shop just return your PCM to stock and remove the Tuner and all evidence it ever resided in your vehicle.
But aren't these tune changes in fact 'recorded' in the truck's computer and the techs can see them? Atleast that is what I thought I had read on one of these Ford forums...
Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 PM

Yes, they leave a foot print or a change that the stealer can see. But it is my understanding, that they can't tell exactly what data was changed. Maybe a Tech on here can shed more light on the subject.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fdw
Im interested in increasing HP's and MPG's
I am interested in seeing how you can increase hp and mpg?

What kind of mpg increase you talking about?

How much will it cost to increase the mpg?

How long is the payback on the mpg gain given what you will pay for the chip etc etc?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 01:02 AM

I can't say for sure on a Ford, I work mainly on GM, but tuning chips are mostly junk. They spoof the PCM in to thinking something else is happening. But the PCM soon sees this and corrects. So you my see a slight change, but it wont last. Don't wast your money.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:05 AM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had one for about a year and a half now and am very happy with it. Im scared to turn my truck back to the "stock" setting.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jmac660
Yes, they leave a foot print or a change that the stealer can see. But it is my understanding, that they can't tell exactly what data was changed. Maybe a Tech on here can shed more light on the subject.
If I remember correctly, the PCM increases a counter each time it gets flashed, and Ford (and I don't know if this is true, but sounds correct) has on file the flashes done on the VIN... But I may have been lied to.

Quick Reply: Will Performance Chip void warranty?