Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the '13 Ram take some of Ford's market share?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Will the '13 Ram take some of Ford's market share?

I posted the link below in the Roadmaster thread, and thought it made sense to begin a new thread. For those who like to keep up on what the competition is doing, here is a good write up on what's in store for the '13 Rams:

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/new_york/1204_2013_ram_1500/

Although I've always been a Ford fan, I do think Ram has come a long way in recent years, and I think they could put some pressure on Ford when the '13s are released. Some notable upgrades:

- Will offer a crew cab/6.5ft bed combo in the 1500 for the first time, Ford was previously the only manufacturer with this config in a 1/2 ton
- Updated projector headlights (though don't believe they are HID), Ford appears to be doing something similar
- 8 speed transmission
- Air suspension
- Power locking tailgate/side bed storage bins
- Refreshed interior with larger productivity screen in dash/updated Uconnect (similar to MFT if Ford will in fact include that in the '13s)

As I mentioned in the other thread, I think competition is good. It's keeps the pressure up on all manufacturers to continually update products, and produce quality vehicles.

I'm sure Rams aren't w/o their problems, but Ford does seem to have developed a bit of a black eye from a lot of current owners who are unhappy with the shudder/intercooler/alleged tranny issues that are well documented on this forum.

I am one of those who have been waiting on the sidelines to pull the trigger, looking for some positive signs that these issues are being addressed. I will be checking out the new Rams in addition to the F-150 to see which vehicle offers the best overall value, performance (some of the performance data is not yet available for the '13 Rams), especially since they will be offering the CC/6.5 bed combo. The short bed/CC limitation was always a deal killer for me when considering anoher brand, but it sounds like there will be more brand options to consider for the '13MY, which is not a bad thing....

Last edited by jweidert; 05-11-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I think it's really a possibility. Dodge needed this refresh pretty bad. Luckily it looks like the F150 has a lot of nice options coming down the pipe with the 2014 model though.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

It might, but ford is also coming out with a refresh. I have a feeling ford will offer a little more than what people are seeing in the spy shots. those pictures just seem too obvious to me, with their half *** camouflage job. I have a feeling that ford has something up their sleeve that they aren't showing yet. It'll be interesting to finally see all the new features the 13's will have. No doubt that dodge...or should I say ram (as they like to be called these days lol), is stepping up their game. I'm glad. I don't plan on purchasing a new truck for a LONG time, but when I do, there will probably be some really good trucks on the market.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way. Ford will always be at the top.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

an 8 speed tranny would be pretty awesome
Old 05-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Good read OP. Ram needed to do something with the rear end. Those coil springs were soft. Even adding airbags (inside the coil, 35 psi max) the rams would sag under load. Now with factory airbags that should be better. Having saud that, every vehicle I've seen with oem bags has had issues with them. We'll see I guess. I would also like to put that new ram on an alignment rack and cycle the self leveling suspension to see how much the readings change.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:38 PM
A has been that never was

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveOhFuzzF150
an 8 speed tranny would be pretty awesome
Great thread! I agree with the 8 speed thing. Thats going to be the key. All that other stuff is fluff.

That 8 speed has like a 4.50:1 1st gear and a 3.00:1 2nd gear. Thats going to make any engine bolted to it kick butt!

I love my ford and have no care for the ram. I do like the 8 speed though.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I traded in a half ton ram for my F-150. The poor fit and finish alone has deterred me from ever owning another.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jweidert
I posted the link below in the Roadmaster thread, and thought it made sense to begin a new thread. For those who like to keep up on what the competition is doing, here is a good write up on what's in store for the '13 Rams:

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/new_york/1204_2013_ram_1500/

Although I've always been a Ford fan, I do think Ram has come a long way in recent years, and I think they could put some pressure on Ford when the '13s are released. Some notable upgrades:

- Will offer a crew cab/6.5ft bed combo in the 1500 for the first time, Ford was previously the only manufacturer with this config in a 1/2 ton
- Updated projector headlights (though don't believe they are HID), Ford appears to be doing something similar
- 8 speed transmission
- Air suspension
- Power locking tailgate/side bed storage bins
- Refreshed interior with larger productivity screen in dash/updated Uconnect (similar to MFT if Ford will in fact include that in the '13s)

As I mentioned in the other thread, I think competition is good. It's keeps the pressure up on all manufacturers to continually update products, and produce quality vehicles.

I'm sure Rams aren't w/o their problems, but Ford does seem to have developed a bit of a black eye from a lot of current owners who are unhappy with the shudder/intercooler/alleged tranny issues that are well documented on this forum.

I am one of those who have been waiting on the sidelines to pull the trigger, looking for some positive signs that these issues are being addressed. I will be checking out the new Rams in addition to the F-150 to see which vehicle offers the best overall value, performance (some of the performance data is not yet available for the '13 Rams), especially since they will be offering the CC/6.5 bed combo. The short bed/CC limitation was always a deal killer for me when considering anoher brand, but it sounds like there will be more brand options to consider for the '13MY, which is not a bad thing....
The 6.5 ft bed, smoother ride, heated steering wheel, HID headlights could swipe sales from Ford.

Ford could step up and give us some second row under-floor storage, HID lights, a more robust AC system, heated steering wheel and a Navi that can display tags when streaming music over bluetooth.

Dodge is selling their truck to people who want to tow a boat and bang around town whereas Ford pushes their trucks as work trucks or mobile offices.

At the end of the day, the biggest advancements in so far as consumers are concerned are in the convenience features and connectivity. In this regard Ford needs to establish a leadership position—especially so since 11% of F150s sold are Platinums (not to mention pimped out Lariats)—a clue that explains that customers really are willing to pay for feature-packages and tend to be attracted toward the platform that offers useful LUX features.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It might take some of the market, lots of people need to have the latest and greatest. When the redesigned F-150 comes out in 2015 it will take back all of that share more than likely.

Quick Reply: Will the '13 Ram take some of Ford's market share?