Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are HIDs an option for any 2013 Lariat/XLT except with Heavy Duty Payload?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why are HIDs an option for any 2013 Lariat/XLT except with Heavy Duty Payload?

Guys,

I've spec'd out 2013 Lariats at multiple dealers and built them on http://www.nadaguides.com/cars/2013/ford/F-150/. I consistently saw that HIDs were only available with the 502a Luxury Package, and that they were not an option. That's frustrating, but I understand the tactic in that Ford will lure buyers into the more expensive 502a package with the "new toy". To a certain extent, I can also understand why they'd make the Luxury Package mutually exclusive with the Heavy Duty Payload Package. It's gives them room to expand with future models, and typically (not always) the profile of a "Luxry" buyer is different than a "Heavy Duty Payload" buyer.

So here's my question... Now that Ford's official build tool is available (http://bp3.ford.com/2013-Ford-F-150?...ng=en#/Models/), it looks like HIDs are an optional extra on XLT and Lariat models. AWESOME! However, they are NOT an optional extra if you have the Heavy Duty Payload Package. Now this just doesn't make sense to me. The market for Heavy Duty Payload customers is relatively small, so I doubt they're positioning for future F150s. It seems like this is a mistake or that perhaps there is some technical conflict between having HIDs and the Heavy Duty Payload Package. Or perhaps since the HD customer base is so small, Ford just doesn't care??

Curious to hear your thoughts on this. I'm going to have the dealer I choose try to have the factory add these on.

Thanks!

Last edited by BxrRebel; 09-06-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

My experience is the same as you.

Definitely report back, as I would like to get HIDs on Lariat MaxTow HD 4x2 that is in the order que. Obviously they are not a deal killer, but it sure would be nice. I also wanted to 36 gallon tank, but they will not ad that as an option for any 4x2.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

HIDs are not available with the HD package. I noticed it on the Order Guide that was released last month, and on the Ford site today, and then I just finished chatting with a Ford rep on the site and they also confirmed. I had planned on getting a Lariat with the HIDs being a big factor in that decision. Without them, I might back down to a XLT with the HD package instead.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe ford did not include auto leveling motors on the HID lights and they think a HD max payload truck will be more likely to be laden down with heavy items that may angle the truck so the lights are more likely to blind traffic. It does seem weird. Most oems include auto leveling on their hids and some include manual adjustments for this very reason.
The following users liked this post:
rdkev (06-09-2013)
Old 09-06-2012, 11:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Agreed it has to be the auto leveling. I know my SHO doesn't have an auto leveler and my Infiniti G37 I just got rid of didn't have one either. Not sure if it's still a requirement on cars anymore.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Iowa Farmer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Maybe they're trying to do away with the heavy duty payload packages.... Whether It's to promote the super duties or for govt. Regulations, I don't know. Just a possibility
Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I can't see how you spec'd HID's on an XLT? Doesn't come up as an option on any config of XLT i do.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour
I can't see how you spec'd HID's on an XLT? Doesn't come up as an option on any config of XLT i do.
Sorry - I should've only listed Lariats.

Just to follow up, a kind ford.com rep is requesting an explanation from the F-150 product team regarding why HIDs are not available with the HD payload package. I'll follow up when I hear back in 5-7 business days
The following users liked this post:
finishigh (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 PM
F150 Forum

Received 247 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by nixx
Maybe ford did not include auto leveling motors on the HID lights and they think a HD max payload truck will be more likely to be laden down with heavy items that may angle the truck so the lights are more likely to blind traffic. It does seem weird. Most oems include auto leveling on their hids and some include manual adjustments for this very reason.
Usually you only see auto leveling on real high end cars, not so much for the american market. Cadillac has some adaptive projectors that turn when you are rounding a corner. They turn Somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 degrees towards the way your going! And i actually have a set of adaptive projectors sitting right in front of me!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxedoblack11

Usually you only see auto leveling on real high end cars, not so much for the american market. Cadillac has some adaptive projectors that turn when you are rounding a corner. They turn Somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 degrees towards the way your going! And i actually have a set of adaptive projectors sitting right in front of me!
My dad's Granturismo does that...really subtle but cool. My mom's 09 Acura TSX had auto leveling HID's, and that car wasn't particularly high end. Hard to say.

Quick Reply: Why are HIDs an option for any 2013 Lariat/XLT except with Heavy Duty Payload?