Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I have the crappy Perreli tires, but my spare is a Goodyear :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Why do I have the crappy Perreli tires, but my spare is a Goodyear :(

Did anyone else notice this?

I noticed it the other day when i was installing my rear wheel liners. My stock tires are the horrible Perreli Scorpion's, but I have a Goodyear Wrangler (i think it was an AT/S) for my spare. I wish I would have noticed this before I took my truck home as I would have demanded these Perreli's taken off and given the Goodyears all the way around
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you dislike about the Pirellis? I've got about a thousand miles on mine and, so far, they seem to be an excellent road tire. I've them off-road once and they weren't very good, but otherwise I am happy.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

also you might want to check the rim size of your spare! i noticed the same as you but i also noticed the spare is an 18'' rim where the rest of mine are all 20''s
Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 AM
FN SWT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing wrong with the Pirelli tires...I have 24K on mine with even wear all the way around.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jocksagent
What do you dislike about the Pirellis? I've got about a thousand miles on mine and, so far, they seem to be an excellent road tire. I've them off-road once and they weren't very good, but otherwise I am happy.

They're absolutely miserable to drive in the snow and rain with mainly. My Subaru STi was more fun (not scary like the truck is with these tires) to drive in the snow.

For a highway tire, I guess they're fine.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by sporttruckin
also you might want to check the rim size of your spare! i noticed the same as you but i also noticed the spare is an 18'' rim where the rest of mine are all 20''s

I didnt even think to look at that, I just assumed it would be a 20"...

If that's the case, I wonder if the overall diameter of the tires are the same at least...

Kind of a joke for a ~$45K truck IMO, you'd think they would be a matching set

Last edited by Pauli18c; 04-05-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 202 Likes on 163 Posts

Pretty awesome truck if all you have to complain about is the spare tire not being the same tire as the 4 on the truck, huh?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Brianm825

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauli18c
I didnt even think to look at that, I just assumed it would be a 20"...

If that's the case, I wonder if the overall diameter of the tires are the same at least...

Kind of a joke for a ~$45K truck IMO, you'd think they would be a matching set
Same overall outer diameter. Your spare Goodyear is an 18" on a steel wheel. I still think you should go in and demand that your dealer put 18" Goodyears on all four corners. If you're real sly you could probably find a sucker on this forum that will trade you a set of 18" steelies and Goodyears for your nice 20" wheels and Pirellis
Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Demand a set of Goodyears? Why have we all the sudden gotten to such a sense of entitlement because we don't like something? Nothing personal against you at all Tussin as I mean no offense by it, but that is how the truck is made and what it is built with. If you don't like the stereo are you going to go and DEMAND a new one too? Where does that end?

You should specify however that because you have the FX4 you have the Scorpion ATR's, which are the 4wd Pirelli's. The Scorpion's that come on the 2wd trucks like my FX2 are Scorpion STR's and they are a fantastic tire. The majority of people that I have seen that are having problems are those with the ATR's for some reason.

Just as an example, here in central TX we have seen almost 14" of rain just this calendar year already which is extremely rare for us. I drive my truck every day and have never once spun or slipped or got anything but perfect traction from my STR's. They may be the bottom of the barrel as far as Pirelli is concerned, but they have been a damn good tire in the 17k miles I've already got on my truck. I can't speak for snow of course as we don't have that problem here, but they do GREAT in rain.

For money purposes Ford only makes and sells one spare. That way they don't have to care or worry what tire/wheel package each truck has. The most important thing is that it is a full size spare (and it is) so that it doesn't throw off the differentials for those of us that have LSD. Ford, just like any other manufacturer, includes a very basic and generic steel wheel, but does include a full size spare and not some crappy donut that some others include.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tussin_Wolf
Same overall outer diameter. Your spare Goodyear is an 18" on a steel wheel. I still think you should go in and demand that your dealer put 18" Goodyears on all four corners. If you're real sly you could probably find a sucker on this forum that will trade you a set of 18" steelies and Goodyears for your nice 20" wheels and Pirellis
That is not what I'm referring to, but thanks for the sarcasm. I would have rather had 4 20" Goodyears than the Perrelis. If you would read the thread, you would see I was not aware that the spare is an 18" tire... again, thanks for your post.......................

Quick Reply: Why do I have the crappy Perreli tires, but my spare is a Goodyear :(