Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who’s truck vibrates on highway

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 83 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Who’s truck vibrates on highway

Ok so I’ve had my truck for 3 years and put on 50k miles, bought the truck used around 18k miles. I’ve always noticed a slight vibration starting around 65 up to about 85mph. I’ve had it in several times and they’ve rebalanced my wheels, looked for bends, I was at the point of having them pull the drive shaft. Well Black Friday had a special for refinished wheels from Detroit wheel and I decided to just replace my old wheels which had some recent curb rash from getting cut off in a traffic circle. The cosmetic damage to my black fx4 wheels just annoyed me every time I washed my car. Fast forward to this week, finally had a chance to take the new wheel and tire combo on a perfectly smooth new paved highway, where the vibration was immediately noticeable. Now, no more vibration and what confirmed it even more. The Detroit tire rep sent me an email saying that I was not getting my full core charge back for wheels because all 4 rims where out of round. Im going to call them tomorrow to get the spec on how out of round each one is, after speaking with my father who retired from ford as an engineer, asked him how common having all 4 out of round would be and he said very uncommon unless there was a manufacturing defect.

any ways was curious if others have had an unexplained vibration and they’ve tried everything to fix it, try new wheels. Mine were black fx4 wheels, 20” off a 2014.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:49 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Whose.

Any possibility that the wheels were abused in the 18,000 miles before you got the truck? When you took the truck "in", was it in to a Ford dealer or to the local tire shop? Seems like out-of-round would not be that hard to diagnose. Not an expert but a dynamic balancing machine should have picked it up, I think.

Are those alloy wheels or steel?
Old 12-13-2018, 12:34 AM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts

I wanna see pics of the Detroit wheels. I’m assuming they’re the steelies that are pretty popular? I’ve thought about getting a set with some offset. I don’t vibrate tho.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL
Whose.

Any possibility that the wheels were abused in the 18,000 miles before you got the truck? When you took the truck "in", was it in to a Ford dealer or to the local tire shop? Seems like out-of-round would not be that hard to diagnose. Not an expert but a dynamic balancing machine should have picked it up, I think.

Are those alloy wheels or steel?
Its possible but the truck didn’t appear to be abused it was the cleanest, well kept 14 I could find. The rims and tires were actually installed by the dealer the truck was originally purchased from and the dealer that has maintained all three f150’s I’ve had. When I purchased the truck the wheels had 8k miles on them. I believe the truck originally came with the grey fx4 wheels but the previous owner had them put the appearance package black wheels on at 10k miles with Michelin ms2 tires. The new wheels from Detroit wheel and tire are the exact same OEM wheel. They take oem wheels and refinish them, repair, etc then resell. So if you want all black raptor wheels, they have them. Or all chrome, black chrome. I just did an exchange since I wanted to rule out any possible wheel or tire issues before I went to dynamic balance route or new drive shaft.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by M0RRIS
I wanna see pics of the Detroit wheels. I’m assuming they’re the steelies that are pretty popular? I’ve thought about getting a set with some offset. I don’t vibrate tho.
they are just oem wheels refinished, they are black powder coated. Look identical to the stock appearance package wheels.

Last edited by tsdahc; 12-13-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:13 AM

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

I have had a vibration at about 55-62 and around 82-86 since I bought it new. Comes and goes, no rhyme or reason. Has behaved exactly the same through 2 sets of tires and on 2 sets of Ford OEM rims (different styles and generations but same size), alignments, road force balancing. Also seems to be worse if the road has a steep crown.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:46 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

I have those black 20" FX4 wheels on my 2014. I don't get a vibration until I get to around 85-90 mph. It's annoying since it's the only truck I've owned that vibrates at all, but I can count on one hand (OK, maybe both hands and a foot) the times I've been at that speed so I'm not too concerned about it.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by FLXLT
I have had a vibration at about 55-62 and around 82-86 since I bought it new. Comes and goes, no rhyme or reason. Has behaved exactly the same through 2 sets of tires and on 2 sets of Ford OEM rims (different styles and generations but same size), alignments, road force balancing. Also seems to be worse if the road has a steep crown.
Maybe it's a shock, esp if the lateral angle makes it worse.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
Maybe it's a shock, esp if the lateral angle makes it worse.
You may be right. I am planning on leveling it soon and replacing the front and rears.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I had 33x12.5r20 Atturo trailblades on my 11 FX4, and the vibration was horrible. I now have the same size wheels and RBP tires no vibration and much less road noise. they guy who took off the Atturos told me the tires were out of round and he showed me one where it just looked warped almost, but I have put about 39k miles on my truck in the last year with only two tire rotations. Now I will be rotating every 5k miles to hopefully help these tires last longer.

Quick Reply: Who’s truck vibrates on highway