Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whistling noise in 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:20 AM

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Whistling noise in 4x4

Hello all-

Recently I replaced my IWE Solenoid and the check valve because very randomly my truck wouldn't want to full disengage from 4x4. From the little I've driven it that problem seems to be corrected. However, today I ran into a new issue. Had very snowy roads for my trip to work so I was in 4x4 high most of the time. Right away I noticed that in 4x4 I'm getting a whistling noise, almost sounds like window leak. It completely goes away in 2wd.

It sounds like it's coming from the front right but I'm not positive. I did check the vacuum lines on the right hub and they are connected. It's somewhat throttle dependent but not completely. If I'm coasting the noise gets louder. Under very minimal acceleration (crawling) it doesn't seem to be there. Under normal acceleration its evident. Isn't their only vacuum in 2wd? I'm kind of stumped.

Found some older threads and some say it's normal but I've never heard it until today.

Any ideas?

Old 01-02-2020, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mpittmann,

I have the exact same whistling noise in 4x4 only (2wd it's completely absent) on my 2014 F150 FX4 with the 3.5L Ecoboost. This noise has existed since I bought the truck used 3 years ago... same exact symptoms, sounds like window leaking, sounds like front passenger's side. I checked all vacuum connections and didn't find anything. Did you learn anything in the ~1 year since noticing?
Old 01-02-2020, 09:04 AM

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by holymoly10
mpittmann,

I have the exact same whistling noise in 4x4 only (2wd it's completely absent) on my 2014 F150 FX4 with the 3.5L Ecoboost. This noise has existed since I bought the truck used 3 years ago... same exact symptoms, sounds like window leaking, sounds like front passenger's side. I checked all vacuum connections and didn't find anything. Did you learn anything in the ~1 year since noticing?
Haven't figured anything out yet.. I think it's just a quirk I'll learn to deal with? I even swapped out the IWE's and replace with RCV IWE Eliminators. So it's not in the IWE.. Not sure! haha
Old 01-05-2020, 07:35 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

My 2014 5.0 super cab has done it from new. Few other posts show same info. Thinking its the chain in the transfer case.

Quick Reply: Whistling noise in 4x4