Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's to consider after a lift and larger tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Default What's to consider after a lift and larger tires?

I was thinking about this the other day.

Tomorrow, I'll be getting my 4" lift installed and soon after 35's and possibly regearing from 3.55s to OEM 4.10.

What do I have to "adjust" after that? So far, I am aware of:

Speedo (tuner will adjust that)

Gearing (tuner as well)

GPS. Will this be affected and if so, how? (Will a tuner fix that?)

Height of truck for things like parking garages. What's the best way to measure the height?
I was thinking that I could put the truck on a level surface, lay a 2x4 across the highest part of the roof, level it and measure from ground to 2x4. This may be to complicated so if anyone has a better way, let me know.

Head lights (manual adjustments as per owners manual)

Am I missing anything?

Oh yea, and stronger legs to get my fat @$$ up in the truck. Just sayin.

Last edited by justjimmy; 03-03-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:17 AM
BoostKing Tuning

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

When I put my larger tires on, the tracking on the GPS was off. The further I drove the more it was off. Its a simple fix however. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 20-30 minutes and then put it back on. This reset the system but I didnt lose any of my saved settings and my GPS is now correct again. Easy to fix.

Tuner will take care of the speedo and shifting (gearing) when you enter in the correct tire size.

Measuring the height of the truck. I would get a buddy. Get up on top of the truck and take a yard stick or something long and straight and lay it on top of the truck protruding out towards the side. While someone holds this stick still, use a measuring tape to measure from the ground to the stick. Now you know your trucks height.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

GPS should be fine, unless it is tied into the trucks systems and the tuner doesn't change what it reads from, highly unlikely BTW. Edit: See above

That should work for the height issue. MY cousin Cut his antenna and Inch higher the highest part of the truck, to use as a no go gauge, if it hits, no go in there LOL.

Squats, lots of squats. Oh and there is a handle of sorts by the seat belt to help pull you up into the cab. LOL. The sales man showed me that, it is almost made for your fingers can't miss it.

Originally Posted by justjimmy

Tomorrow, I'll be getting my 4" lift installed and soon after 35's and possibly regearing from 3.55s to OEM 4.10.

Gearing (tuner as well)

Height of truck for things like parking garages. What's the best way to measure the height?
I was thinking that I could put the truck on a level surface, lay a 2x4 across the highest part of the roof, level it and measure from ground to 2x4. This may be to complicated so if anyone has a better way, let me know.

Am I missing anything?

Old 03-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

I just lifted mine up to leveled 4WD height with 33.5" tires so yours would probably be about 3-4 inches taller than that if I were to try and guess. Most of what you should do has been covered.

1. My GPS was off immediately. I disconnected both positive and negative for 30 minutes. Somehow none of my radio stations or settings or anything were reset in the truck. However, it took care of the GPS issue and it has worked fine since.

2. Speedo & Gearing. What engine do you have? I've got 3.31's and a good tune on my EB and even with the 75lb tires and raising the truck 4+", I have no need to re-gear. There is still plenty of power whenever it is needed. In order to account for the speedo change though you will need to go to manufacturers website to look up revolutions per mile to that specific tire. If you do it for any 35" tire, it may not be right. My tires on Toyo's website said mine do 650 per mile and that's what I set to. Speedo is spot on up to 85mph.

3. At my height, I can still get in my garage at home and have had it in two parking garages at airports and a hotel. Both of those were in the 7'9" - 8' range. I still had an easy 6" to spare with those garages. My garage door is 8' and has plenty of room. Oddly though, the metal arm on the garage door opener that has the quick disconnect rope on it is what hangs down the furthest, but I still have a few inches on that one as well.

Headlights may need to be adjusted at your height. At mine, they did not, well not yet anyway. Haven't had any one flashing or make it seem like it was too glaring.

Lastly, may want to save up for some power running boards Thankfully i have a Platinum and already had them, but these comes out at a perfect height for a lifted truck. They were almost useless to me at a factory 2WD height, but they are used everytime I get in and out of the truck now.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Gearing (tuner as well)

Am I missing anything?

You've got just about everything covered except a new camera for lots of pics afterwards!!

P.S. clean out your inbox...trying to send you a PM!
Old 03-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Better OUT then IN

Pawpaw... Yea, I'll get to that tonight. Totally slammed with meetings all day. Been stupid busy at work for quite a while.
The following users liked this post:
PawPaw (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 12:22 PM

Pawpaw... Yea, I'll get to that tonight. Totally slammed with meetings all day. Been stupid busy at work for quite a while.
I solved that problem 4 yrs ago when I retired!!
Old 03-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Better OUT then IN

Originally Posted by PawPaw
I solved that problem 4 yrs ago when I retired!!
That's right...rub it in!!

TOTALLY jealous.

I'm 2 years from 30 years but not old enough yet. Another 7 years in this prison then I'll be FREEEEE!
Old 03-03-2016, 12:44 PM

That's right...rub it in!!

TOTALLY jealous.

I'm 2 years from 30 years but not old enough yet. Another 7 years in this prison then I'll be FREEEEE!
Just keep working...government needs your tax dollars!!
Old 03-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Better OUT then IN

Originally Posted by PawPaw
Just keep working...government needs your tax dollars!!
Yes it does...now, more then ever.

I'm here for YOU!

Quick Reply: What's to consider after a lift and larger tires?