Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to get?

I'm looking at 12th gen F150s and want to know what to consider when purchasing one. It seems like the 5.0 L V8 is most reliable. I like the FX4 for towing package, skid plates, locking rear diff, and improved suspension (though I hear the upgraded suspension ain't that much better). How are those skid plates? They looked a little thin scoping one out at the dealer. Getting one of those with a regular bed and extended cab is proving tough to find. I might go with the crew, but dont really need that much luxury for my occasional rear seat passengers. What kind of issues have you guys seen with these rigs once you get into the 50k+ miles (or whenever they are designed for things to start failing)?
Old 06-14-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 214 Likes on 122 Posts

Ecoboost trucks will be cheaper than the others and may tempt you but under no circumstance should you buy one. I have been very disappointed with mine. The 6.2 is the most reliable choice and the truck you should be looking for. A simple, 2 valve SOHC engine that makes alot of power and hydraulic assisted steering instead of the EPAS crap that is on all the other engine variants. The 6.2 is the truck I wish I held out for but I settled for an Ecoboost and have regretted it ever since. The power of the Eco is about the same as a 5.0 and the fuel economy is worse. I average 16 empty and 9-11 towing a 4,000 pound trailer.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

If you go with a 5.0 it may be wise to look at late build 13's or 2014's to hopefully avoid the engine noise from cylinder distortion. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Agree, with either engine get a 2013 or 2014.

I'm not convinced the ecoboost is less reliable than the 5.0, but both are great engines so I wouldn't steer you away from the 5.0 unless you do a lot of heavy towing. But these trucks, with any engine, should be reliable way past 50k. I'm counting on mine making it to 200k because I like to keep my trucks for 10 years and I didn't have a problem getting the eco instead of the 5.0. Honestly I was more concerned about finding the configuration I wanted and took whichever engine came with it. I'm way more concerned about things like power seats going bad than the ecoboost dying an untimely death before then.

And I already gave my thoughts on the FX4 package in the other thread.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Don't be scared of any of the engines. All engines, no matter brand etc, have their issues on limited occasions. Anyone on here telling you not to buy X because of Y most likely had issues with THEIR truck, doesn't mean you will have it with the one you buy. The 3.5l has timing chain stretch and the 5.0 has a knock on LIMITED OCCASIONS! 95% of either engine is on the road running fine.

Either way find something in your budget preferably with service records showing good maintenance records. Do your due diligence and have a certified mechanic check it out or make sure the dealership is willing to give you at minimum the 3 month/4000 mile warranty and used car inspection if it is over the 60,000 mile mark. If you have those things then it should be a good buy. But when buying used the most important factor in how the truck will perform is how well the previous owner(s) took care of it.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought a 2012 5.0 FX4 SCAB and get compliments on it all the time. You won't regret buying one. That said, I wish I could have gotten my hands on an FX4 with the 6.2L. That would have been an awesome truck.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Missmy06
Ecoboost trucks will be cheaper than the others and may tempt you but under no circumstance should you buy one. I have been very disappointed with mine. The 6.2 is the most reliable choice and the truck you should be looking for. A simple, 2 valve SOHC engine that makes alot of power and hydraulic assisted steering instead of the EPAS crap that is on all the other engine variants. The 6.2 is the truck I wish I held out for but I settled for an Ecoboost and have regretted it ever since. The power of the Eco is about the same as a 5.0 and the fuel economy is worse. I average 16 empty and 9-11 towing a 4,000 pound trailer.
I agree with you 100% and this has been my experience too, but from what I've seen the 6.2L trucks are as rare as a 3-legged chicken. I've seen one in my lifetime in person, and it was in a Lariat model.

Horsepower:

EcoBoost - 365
Coyote 5.0 - 360 on regular/375 on E85
6.2 - 385 in SuperDuty/411 in F150

So the 6.2 does just barely have a slight power advantage. But the real reason to get one is the hydraulic steering and the fact that they were rock solid dependable with almost no common issues reported....IF you can find one.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Missmy06

i have had 0 problems with my 13 3.5. power is more than enough for daily driving and i have no problems towing 4,500lbs total weight for my track car and trailer on the weekends (i do have the upgraded towing package which was rated at 9,600lbs). the only fault i ever thought of, and this is just personal, is the noise from the turbos. seems to be louder than i think it should but that may be just me.

fuel economy is not amazing but i didn't buy a truck to get great mpg, i bought it to tow/haul stuff. if i wanted fuel economy i would get a little car.