Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Could I Expect

Old 05-25-2015, 03:27 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Default What Could I Expect

Okay...This has been beaten to death, talked about through and through I know.
I am in a time crunch and didn't have time to poor over the many MANY threads on this, I'm sorry in advance everyone!

I've been driving 5.0 F-150's for 4 years now and have been loving them. I have a K&N CAI on my truck, doesn't do much for power or fuel economy but I do love the sound it makes. I am ready to treat myself and squeeze a bit more growl and power out of the truck.

So my question for you 5.0 guys who love to mod their trucks, If I get a good cat back exhaust (possibly roush), a tune (maybe the 5 star 87 performance/tow) and combine that with my intake what sort of power and drive-ability gains could I estimate to see?
Old 05-25-2015, 04:25 PM

Received 3,926 Likes on 2,509 Posts

You'll probably only gain about 20 HP from an 87 octane tune.
The tune should improve shifting and you'll feel a slight seat of the pants difference.
The following users liked this post:
CDC5.0 (05-26-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Same truck as me except mine is a super cab, I put a Magnaflow cat back on for the ear candy, stock exhaust is already straight thru so you won't notice any difference in power, if your thinking about a CAI don't waste your money, the truck came with the best already, only thing you will gain is more engine noise and possibly decreased performance because you will be sucking in hot under the hood air, stock pulls air in from the fender.

The tuner will be your best bang for the buck, I have one with many custom tunes and absolutely love it. Approximately 30hp gain with a 93 tune.

Last edited by RLXXI; 05-25-2015 at 04:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CDC5.0 (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Same truck as me except mine is a super cab, I put a Magnaflow cat back on for the ear candy, stock exhaust is already straight thru so you won't notice any difference in power, if your thinking about a CAI don't waste your money, the truck came with the best already, only thing you will gain is more engine noise and possibly decreased performance because you will be sucking in hot under the hood air, stock pulls air in from the fender.

The tuner will be your best bang for the buck, I have one with many custom tunes and absolutely love it. Approximately 30hp gain with a 93 tune.
I already have the CAI for sound and sound only, since the stock exhaust is already so good maybe I could just get away with throwing in a muffler to improve the sound further. 20 - 30 hp with a good tune....that's not too shabby

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Could I Expect