Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welp - It's in the shop

Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM
HMFIC

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Welp - It's in the shop

Specs are:
2012 Platinum 157" EB Screw

I've got about 11k miles on it now. I had no issues for the first 6 or 7k miles.

Then I had the "falls flat on it's face" issue. It had no power and wouldn't go for about 30 seconds or so. Really frustrating when you're the first one at a light trying to go when it's green and it doesn't respond. People honking. I'm like "F**k, you really think I'd purposely pull 50 feet into an intersection and just stop!" Anyway, it glitched for about 30 seconds and then all was fine.

It went a while without doing anything. I probably had about 9k on the odometer and it fell on it's face again. Again it passed.

Then one day after putting it in gear and leaving my sons baseball fields, I pull onto the road and engine is spinning but I'm not going anywhere. This was different! It was like the tranny was slipping. I popped it in neutral and back in gear and it went. Whew.

It did that again about 2 weeks ago and also another small "no power" issue. I needed to take it in for oil change so I did and mentioned these issues, asked them to check for codes etc. They checked and said nothing showed but they did have an update for the ECM and flashed that.

Since I've gotten it back from that I had 2 more small "no power" issues, but they went quickly and then all was well.

This leads us to today. I left the office for lunch and was stopped at a light. I started to go and the truck accelerated fine, but then I realized it wasn't shifting out of 1st. I held it at about 6k rpm for a second and was about to release the throttle, shift to neutral, and back to gear, but before I could, it finally shifted to 2nd and the dash went crazy. A big wrench emblem showed for a couple seconds and all the driving data, MPG, AMPG, etc went blank and the speedometer dropped to zero. Mind you I'm doing about 30mph.

I drove it straight to the dealer. Only about 3 miles away. The service writer called a tech out and I showed him everything before I shut the truck off. He confirmed that a code must've been thrown (no **** dick tracy). He kept lauging and saying "this is good, well, not for you, but for us). He even once muttered "yea, it's really screwed up".

Anyway, I'm driving an Enterprise rented Focus right now. I hope they're able to fix this. I love my Truck!

I'll post back with pics of the dash.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:49 PM
HMFIC

Pics of the dash
Attached Thumbnails Welp - It's in the shop-dash1.jpg   Welp - It's in the shop-dash2.jpg   Welp - It's in the shop-dash3.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 03:12 PM
2011 Lariat Screw EB

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

That's a lot of power issues! I had one coming back from a fishing trip. Had a light boat on and gear. In tow/haul mode, stepped on it to pass a slow truck. It hesitated for a second............hopped out of gear, stayed at 5,000rpms. I put it in neutral then back into gear. I gave it gas, all it did was flutter, no power. Then all was fine.

Ford said nothing they could do cause they don't know what it was and no codes.

That was only once. You seem to have it a lot. Interested to see what they say.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

With so much of a vehicle's functions tied together ( electronics ) it would be very easy to have one simple sensor snafu the whole driving experience.

These trucks are very new technologically speaking and it may take a while before techs get a total grip on the situation.

It wouldn't suprise me one bit if it was something like steering wheel angle sensor that fluxomed the stability control, that effected the trans, that caused the engine to "pause" etc, etc!
I'm hoping that your truck gets fixed with something simple like this and the techs working on it learn something in the process!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:28 PM
A has been that never was

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like a bad ECM.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:40 PM
HMFIC

I definitely agree that it's computer/electronic related. There is obviously a LOT of reliance on the computer for these trucks to run now days.

I also forgot to mention that around the time of the first loss of power, my Sync had glitched as well and I got a "Index Full" error. It reset the next time I started the truck and i think I also went into the setting somewhere and had it wipe the index. It's been a little while so I don't remember exactly.

The tech said they had a similar issue on a car and they had to replace the dash. Yikes.

He kept referring to the "network", and how they would examine the communication and most of the devices should have some sort of communication error. If they found one that didn't have that error, it may be the culprit.

At this point I have no idea how long they'll have the truck.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I bet it sucks for the guys at the dealers when cars come in with these problems and they have essentially no info to work with if there are no faults recorded. Like it was mentioned above, there are many devices communicating in real time that lead to a goofed up shift or power loss.

It must be hard to go in and not lose your cool at the dealer after having the truck try to kill you though.

Best of luck with the fix.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by superccs
I bet it sucks for the guys at the dealers when cars come in with these problems and they have essentially no info to work with if there are no faults recorded. Like it was mentioned above, there are many devices communicating in real time that lead to a goofed up shift or power loss.

It must be hard to go in and not lose your cool at the dealer after having the truck try to kill you though.

Best of luck with the fix.
Your absolutely right on. If theres no TSB or code shown and no fluids blowing out of it, they don't have a clue.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

On a positive note, it sure would be nice if the mileage on my truck was all dashes and not recorded. :-)
Old 05-18-2012, 10:43 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds like the CAN bus can't communicate. Is it me or does modern engine management give dealers an easy out. If there is no code then there must not be a real problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Welp - It's in the shop