Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water spots on the paint..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water spots on the paint..

So I first got these spots from the nasty water sprinklers here in FL. They have been there for awhile as i never knew about using a polisher. I washed the truck well, started out with an orange pad with wolfgang 3.0 swirl remover. Put that on my DA polisher and hit it twice within a half hour. Still wasnt off so i used the Autp Glym super resin polish on the DA with orange pad and this is what im stuck with so far. Do i do another application? The pictures show what is left. Im afraid i might start to wear on the clear coat if i continue. Does anyone have any ideas for continuing?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Claybar!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:29 PM

should've tried a least aggressive method first......cleaner wax(Klasse AIO) water/vineager solution or clay
Old 07-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Haulin Bass!

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Mac
Claybar!
This. Plus, get yourself a good variable speed buffer. I use a wool pad with a friction based cut to get the hard stuff out. Solid or egg shell foam pad with a good polish. Then use a random orbit with terry cloth bonnet to apply a good wax. You can also take the wax off with a micro fiber bonnet. It'll be looking like glass in no time.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:23 PM

the truck has been clay barred twice in a 8 month period since the water spots. If im not getting it with a DA polisher and wolfgang polish then clay wont make a dent in it. I know that this wont come off with any hand rubbing of anything... i mean 1 minute with the DA is equivilent to about 6 hours of hand rubbing.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:31 PM

damn, thats some harsh ***** water!
Old 07-30-2011, 10:32 PM

I'd try a more aggressive clay bar to start. You can get a dual action polisher now with a light cut/polish pad and an "all in one" type compound. Go from swirl to mirror finish with one set of products, and quite possibly just one pass. It's *almost* fool-proof.

And regarding "wearing on the clearcoat", any polishing you do is removing some clear. It's up to how you choose your products and methods as to how much. The DA polishers out now are really straightforward and there is lots of info online about products. No need to be afraid with the power of the web hah.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:35 PM

I had some really bad water spots on my dark blue paint from my sprinkler. Clay bar didn't do anything, and neither did vinegar. I tried some 3M rubbing compound, which did really well in getting the spots out. I applied the rubbing compound to the whole truck by hand (not fun) and then followed up with nu finish. Looked great after that.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:58 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

If you've got a DA, try a harsher compound pad and/or a harsher compound/polish.
It will probably require a 3 stage polish. Compound, medium and final, followed by wax or sealant.

As was mentioned above, don't go directly to the harshest, try combinations, gradually upping the grade until you get the desired results. The DA should do the job - it's just a case of experimenting.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:37 PM

I am a little late on this one, but if u still have them, try scratch-x ( made by mcguires) I just used it on a coworkers car and it worked wonders. I first tried the claybar and that didn't work, so I went with the scratch-x and some elbow grease and that did it no problem! Just like anything else, follow up with a fresh coat of wax

Quick Reply: water spots on the paint..