Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to Bring 2014 F150 Limited from Texas to CA

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Want to Bring 2014 F150 Limited from Texas to CA

Hi Guys,

New to this forum and purchasing my first F150. I checked and can totally bring this truck in. Has everything I want, but the emissions sticker says not for sale in states with CA emission standards. It has 30K miles on it so is considered used by CA. Only cars with 7500 or less miles are considered new and must have the right sticker.

So...My main concern is if it will pass CA smog. Everything is stock on the truck with no modifications. It's a beautiful 1 owner, clean Carfax 2014 F 150 Limited, so I imagine it should pass no problem, but thought I would ask if anyone else has brought a similar type truck in and had a problem? Any insight appreciated.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

In 1999, I drove my 1987 Toyota 4Runner from Central TX to Northern California to live with family. It had over 200k miles and was a completely stock vehicle aside from regular maintenance and bigger tires. It had a hard time going up some of the hills on the way, but still passed smog without an issue once I got there.

You should have no problems at all.
The following users liked this post:
bobisthedog (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 04:06 PM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

Just by the sticker alone it will not pass in CA. It must have 50 state emissions. Been there done that...had to get rid of the vehicle out of state.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check on the ca dmv website.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

I do believe that is new sale, after it has been registered and titled somewhere else it is normally OK, But we are still dealing with the State of California.
BTW my truck says not for Sale or Registration in the US and it is here.
The following users liked this post:
bobisthedog (03-23-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
In 1999, I drove my 1987 Toyota 4Runner from Central TX to Northern California to live with family. It had over 200k miles and was a completely stock vehicle aside from regular maintenance and bigger tires. It had a hard time going up some of the hills on the way, but still passed smog without an issue once I got there.

You should have no problems at all.
Thanks, yeah that is what I figured. I've brought a few other cars/trucks in and never had a problem. I do think CA regulates it for brand new cars (those with less than 7500 miles) but there is a loophole for used as long as it passes. That is, the sticker can say not for sale in CA, but the emissions pass smog, so you get registration.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I do believe that is new sale, after it has been registered and titled somewhere else it is normally OK, But we are still dealing with the State of California.
BTW my truck says not for Sale or Registration in the US and it is here.
Thanks! What year and model is your truck? So it passed smog on your initial registration and continues to pass every two years? Appreciate the feedback. Last thing I want it to get the truck here and have it fail. I don't think it will because older vehicles that were bought here would be screwed (although certain older classic cars get a pass), so am figuring that a 49 state vehicle would pass just couldn't be bought new here.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:27 AM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by bobisthedog
Thanks! What year and model is your truck? So it passed smog on your initial registration and continues to pass every two years? Appreciate the feedback. Last thing I want it to get the truck here and have it fail. I don't think it will because older vehicles that were bought here would be screwed (although certain older classic cars get a pass), so am figurine that a 49 state vehicle would pass just couldn't be bought new here.
Mine passed when it came in to tbe US, It is considered 50 state legal. I do love where we have no emissions now but they had it tested when it came in.