Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VERY low vibration/sound starting at 35 mph.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

Default VERY low vibration/sound starting at 35 mph.

Our new 2014 SCREW EB Lariat has developed a very low frequency vibration starting at exactly 35 mph. It then begins to go away, and is gone by about 65 mph.
This is almost more of a feeling than a sound, although you can feel it in the back of your ears.....SUPER low frequency, it's like the air in the cab begins to move in sympathy with the vibration.
We do have Michelin LTX 10 ply tires, inflated to 50 psi. I have an appointment with the tire shop this afternoon to address wheels/tires, and an appointment next Wednesday morning with Ford.
I am aware of the thread(s) of others here with driveshaft alignment or balance issues on the SCREW.....and I sure hope mine is going to be easier to find and address....
I'll keep you all posted on what is found...
I had the same tires on my 2012 SCAB, and had no issue with them doing this, so I am suspecting a two piece driveshaft issue......more to follow.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problems in my '14 xlt. It starts around 25-30 mph but will usually stop or become lost in road noise around 50 mph. Let us know what you find out
Old 04-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Retired and loving it!

Well, I think that I got lucky. One of my tires was 1 and 1/2 ounces out of balance and the tech at the tire store said that you can typically feel even 1/4 ounce...........driving home, all was good and smooth all the way through the speed range!!
WHAT a difference. Thank you Discount Tire!
Old 04-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Retired and loving it!

Well, after having the spousal unit ride in the truck with me, she still felt the vibration, and after paying more attention to it, so did I.....although the rebalancing really helped, it was still there.
So, second trip back to Discount Tire and took the service writer for a ride this time. He felt the same low frequency vibration between 33 and 38 mph.
Turned out the right rear tire was out of round enough to cause this, which he said is VERY unusual for the Michelin brand. Brand new tire at no cost, and now the truck is smooth throughout the speed range.

Quick Reply: VERY low vibration/sound starting at 35 mph.