Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VA DMV titling issue

Old 09-04-2014, 06:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Question VA DMV titling issue

So today I went in to change my title/registration over from MT to VA for my F150, when the lady at DMV punched in my VIN, the computer showed that my GVWR was at 10k pounds which requires a different set of plates and higher property taxes. When looking at the invoice and yellow door sticker, it clearly shows that my GVWR is 7700# vice 10K. So after back and forth, she told me that Ford is the one that put it in the system and they'd have to correct it in the system.

Afterwards, I went to the dealer where I purchased the truck and they said the DMV is the one who enters that information. When looking back through, MT correctly put my information in correctly, but not VA. I'm just looking for advice if I should go back and gripe at the DMV or is there something that Ford can do. TIA.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:08 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Call the DMV HQ and ask to speak with a supervisor and tell them what the rep and what Ford said. Also offer to bring in the spec sheet that shows the true weight of the vehicle. It helps to call to the HQ and speak with a supervisor, along with being super nice.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:29 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

You definitely do not want truck tags with a half-ton pickup. The limit for "pickup or car" plates is a gross vehicle weight of 7500lbs or less and a GVWR (max rating) of 10k or under. Granted, technically you can load an F150 to be over the magic 7500lbs and therefore over registered weight and potentially face violation and penalty, but the reality is the enforcement of that just doesn't happen.

F150 = car plates
F250 = mix of car and truck plate (depends on how its used)
F350 = definitely truck plate (due to empty weight exceeding 7500 and GVWR exceeding 10k).

The reason you don't want truck tags is because you lose the personal property tax relief credit afforded to "pickup or car" plates. In my county of Virginia, that's a 51% relief which mean my annual property tax on the truck would double with truck plates! No thanks...

Last edited by xcntrk; 09-04-2014 at 07:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bsboothe (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 08:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xcntrk
You definitely do not want truck tags with a half-ton pickup. The limit for "pickup or car" plates is a gross vehicle weight of 7500lbs or less and a GVWR (max rating) of 10k or under. Granted, technically you can load an F150 to be over the magic 7500lbs and therefore over registered weight and potentially face violation and penalty, but the reality is the enforcement of that just doesn't happen.

F150 = car plates
F250 = mix of car and truck plate (depends on how its used)
F350 = definitely truck plate (due to empty weight exceeding 7500 and GVWR exceeding 10k).

The reason you don't want truck tags is because you lose the personal property tax relief credit afforded to "pickup or car" plates. In my county of Virginia, that's a 51% relief which mean my annual property tax on the truck would double with truck plates! No thanks...

So would the 7700 GVWR be what's causing this to trip? Maybe I can see if they can lower it to 7500 and see if that does the trick. I wasn't going to worry about, but I don't want to get hit with the taxes either in Hampton. Plus I was reading about restrictions about driving in other states with "TRUCK" plates as well. What a headache.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VA DMV titling issue