Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use stock Sony sub enclosure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Use stock Sony sub enclosure?

I am thinking of trying to add a little more thump to the stock Sony system, but I don't want a full length box under the seat, or to have to go custom right now. Sooooo, after some research, I think a decent combo would be a Sundown E8 in the stock box, driven by a kicker zx200, using the high level line in feature directly from the sub wiring. Anybody tried something like this? Anybody know the cu/ft volume of the stock box? Any other thoughts/suggestions?
Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My only suggestion is not to do this. I can almost guarantee you will be disappointed. After being a 12v audio supplier for 5 years I went to hundreds of shops across Canada and ran into my fair share of factory enclosures with aftermarket woofers and every single one sounded terrible. Those little plastic enclosures aren't meant to handle much as the plastic will just move along with the woofer when you put an "actual" woofer in it with decent power. You can try it but after seeing as many of these types of projects fail I just thought id offer my $0.02. You can get some pretty small boxes out there!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's the type of input I was looking for, thanks!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by straightaxle
That's the type of input I was looking for, thanks!
Sorry if it came across stern, I just have seen too many instances where the customer would like to save the $75-150 on a proper enclosure and then be completely unsatisfied and upset haha.

On the other hand, I have seen 2 or 3 instances where a skilled & knowledgeable audio shop fiber-glassed the inside of the factory enclosure to add the necessary rigidity for a small output woofer but they also calculated airspace/dynamics and then after measurements had maybe 1 woofer be appropriate and actually sound alright after completed. Emphasis on "alright" heh.

Enjoy your new sound when it comes!

Quick Reply: Use stock Sony sub enclosure?