Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB2 to power & charge a GPS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 AM
22 Years of daily F150.

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Default USB2 to power & charge a GPS?

Anyone try using their USB2 mod to power/charge a portable GPS unit?

Thinking it might make for a clean dashmount install for me.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

***Original post***
I've seen a few threads about adding the USB2... it seems like some folks have reported fried sync modules.

I'm curious to know if the sync module doesn't have sufficient power to charge a usb device on the second port. It seems like a lot of folks that have had problems are hooking up an ipod or some other power hungry device.

I have added this mod, but only use it to power a usb key. Other folks seems to have reported success with external hard drives though.

Its worth a search just to see what others have said.

Good luck,
-Matt
***End of original post***

***Correction***
I did a search myself, and only turned up one reported case that I could find, and at least several cases of folks successfully using the usb2 port to power other devices. I think it is more likely that this single failure is a fluke or bad cable or something else, given the number of people successfully using this mod.
Apologies for raising the red flag when it wasn't warranted. Should have researched this more before posting (more) anecdotal advice.
***End of correction***

Last edited by Fatmattyd; 02-08-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Matt, I have not seen any reports of fried sync modules. Do you have links?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Nuthin' up my sleeves...

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

I used my port for a 200GB external hard drive, loaded to the brim with music. I put the drive under the console, way up by the firewall... I was able to thread the USB cable through the trim without any cutting. Barely noticeable!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

This link references it, but only just that:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/usb2-i...talled-136516/

This guy said his actually did get damaged:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/usb2-f...system-110584/

The second one's a tough read... lots of MS vs. Apple and what-not. However, there are some good posts in there with success in using ipod's and other devices which would definitely require more power than a usb key. Seems like good news.
Forum member pfbz even has a picture of the sync wiring diagram & the part number for the usb (#1) cable that gets routed to the lower portion of the dash.

Maybe the OP's issue (link #2) was a bad cable, or a fluke thing not related to the usb2 mod at all? There doesn't seem to be resolution as to the warranty claim in there, at least that I could find.

Sorry if I raised the red flag here and it wasn't warranted. A search turned up several hits on "fried sync", however, all of the references to it seem to be anecdotal, with the exception of the 2nd link above. With just one reported failure that I could find, and at least a few (10?) posts stating success in powering other devices, I'd think you'd be fine.

As I said, I'm using the usb2 mod and have been for almost 2 yrs. It's worked well for me. I use it with a usb key, but I've charged ipods/iphones off the usb1 port just fine.

If you end up adding a dash mounted gps - post pix. I'd love to see it.

-Matt
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM
22 Years of daily F150.

Matt thanks for all of the input and searching you did.
I think I'll try it off of the console USB first to see how it handles the unit - should be the same of the other USB port too I guess.

Unixgeek, good to know it will handle a USB hard drive too.

Thanks.

Last edited by 1fifty; 02-08-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 PM
22 Years of daily F150.

Also, here is post 6 from the first link you listed:

Originally Posted by tennisfam4
Try reversing the usb's. I use usb1 for my ipod in the glove box and the usb port on the dash for my GPS and to charge my phone. I to had trouble with usb2 and my ipod. seems to work just fine now.
It worked for him - good to know.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my Garmin connected to My USB 2 and it powers up fine. The thing that bugs Me is that every time You shut off the engine and restart You have to restart the GPS.
I'm going to connect to a always hot connection. Then I will use the switch on the Garmin to control it. When I am finished I will have USB 2 in My console.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

My garmen nuvii 1450 will charge fine but wont turn on when pluged into usb it just shows that it is conected to a computer and if you hard wire it you must leave the plug in line since it is also a 5volt adapter. also my garmen turns itself off and on when the power is interupted and re turned
Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

I had the same issue with my gps. If I charged it with USB it would show I'm connected to a computer and I couldn't use the gps. Have to charge it throught he 12 volt.

Quick Reply: USB2 to power & charge a GPS?