Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US opens probe of Ford F-150 power brake failures

Old 06-29-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default US opens probe of Ford F-150 power brake failures

Seems the brake booster issue is a bigger issue than Ford is admitting too. Once again no recall just let the end user foot the bill even on safety issues. Nice play Ford. I have personally replaced two brake boosters already. Story cut and pasted below. Official story can be read here http://www.freep.com/story/money/201...ures/29324599/

U.S. safety regulators are investigating complaints that the power brake assist can fail on some Ford F-150 pickup trucks.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says the probe covers about 250,000 pickups from the 2011 and 2012 model years with 3.5-liter six-cylinder turbocharged engines.
The agency says in documents posted on its website Friday that it has 32 complaints alleging that electric vacuum assist pumps can fail, causing loss of power brakes and increased braking effort in traffic. Two crashes were reported but no injuries.

Ford's F-Series trucks are the top-selling vehicles in the U.S.
Many of the people complaining wrote that the problem happens when they first start the trucks. One wrote about losing power brakes while backing up at 5 m.p.h. and crashing into a tree. "Cannot park in garage as may hit house or garage or kids when backing out," another person wrote. People who file complaints are not identified in NHTSA's public database.
In all the complaints, no dashboard warnings were issued before the problem happened. The agency says the complaint trend is increasing, with about 60 percent coming in the past nine months.

Investigators will look into the cause of the problem and how often it happens. The probe could lead to a recall.
Ford says it's cooperating with the probe and that customers who experience problems should contact their dealer.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:53 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Ford did just issue(within the last week) a new TSB that replaces the pump, wiring harness, and talks about a blown fuse
Old 06-30-2015, 09:59 AM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Details on TSB?

Transport Canada opened up a file last fall too but nothing has been done in the 8 months since:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...ctive-1239.htm

Actually just submitted my Safety Defect Complaint. My pump was replaced by selling dealer under warranty when I bought it used at 38,000km. The second pump has now started grinding in March/ April of this year only had 20-25,000km on the updated plastic desgin pump. Currently it is still producing Vacuum but cycles 4 or 5 times just backing out of my driveway in the morning. Dealership would not replace again as out of 3yr warranty and Brakes are not covered under power train. Parts replaced under warranty have a 0 mileage warranty. (Taillight warranty, one doesn't exist.)

Last edited by winchested; 06-30-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

3.5L GTDI - INOPERATIVE, EXCESSIVELY NOISY VACUUM PUMP, HARD
BRAKE PEDAL ON INITIAL START-UP AND/OR OPEN FUSE F64 IN THE
BATTERY JUNCTION BOX
TSB 15-0105
FORD:
2011-2012 F-150
ISSUE
Some 2011-2012 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) engine may exhibit a
hard brake pedal on initial start-up, an electric vacuum pump that is inoperative or excessively noisy and/or fuse F64 is
open in the battery junction box (BJB).
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Does the vacuum pump operate?
a. Yes - proceed to Step 2.
b. No - proceed to Step 3.
2. Is the vacuum pump excessively noisy?
a. Yes - proceed to Step 7.
b. No - this procedure does not apply, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-00 for normal diagnosis.
3. Inspect fuse F64 in the BJB. Is the fuse open?
a. Yes - replace the fuse and proceed to Step 4.
b. No - proceed to Step 4.
4. Check for battery voltage at the vacuum pump connector C1560 pin 1 with the ignition key in the run position. Is
battery voltage present?
a. Yes - proceed to Step 5.
b. No - this procedure does not apply. Repair the voltage supply circuit. Refer to the Wiring Diagram, Cell 42-1.
5. Disconnect the vacuum pump connector C1560. Check the resistance to ground at the harness connector pin 2 with
the ignition key off. Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
a. Yes - proceed to Step 6.
b. No - this procedure does not apply. Repair the ground circuit. Refer to the Wiring Diagram, Cell 5-1.
6. Inspect pins 1 and 2 in C1560. Are both pins clean and tight?
a. Yes - proceed to Step 7.
b. No - this procedure does not apply. Repair the wiring harness. Refer to the Wiring Diagram Cell 5-1.
7. Replace the vacuum pump and install the harness kit. Refer to WSM, Section 206-07 and the instructions provided in
the harness kit.
PART NUMBER PART NAME
CL3Z-9C490-D Vacuum Pump Harness Kit
3.5L GTDI - INOPERATIVE, EXCESSIVELY NOISY VACUUM PUMP, HARD
BRAKE PEDAL ON INITIAL START-UP AND/OR OPEN FUSE F64 IN THE
BATTERY JUNCTION BOX
TSB 15-0105
NOTE: The information contained in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job
properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service.The
procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership
to determine whether the bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan
coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves
the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2015 Ford Motor Company Online Publication Date June 22, 2015 PAGE1
PART NUMBER PART NAME
BL3Z-2A451-A Vacuum Pump
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
150105A 2011-2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost: Diagnose And Replace The Brake
Vacuum Pump Includes Time To Install Harness Kit (Do Not Use With
Any Other Labor Operations)
1.0 Hr.
WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are
determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
9C490 42
TSB 15-0105 (Continued)
PAGE2
Old 06-30-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Well, I'm honored to be one of those 32 complaints. Unless you want to pay $700+ to replace your vacuum pump that was defective from the factory, I'd suggest you file a report as well.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Here are the complaints, mine is in there along with a couple that are off topic:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...od_ids=1033769
Old 07-02-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Took mine to the dealer this week to get a couple of minor things fixed as my truck will be 3 years old on the 21st. I made up a story about it making a weird noise and read some people have issues with the vacuum pump and there was a TSB. He looked up the TSB said there are some test they can run to see if it is failing even if it not making a noise. It failed the test and they are replacing it under warranty :-)
The following users liked this post:
sigma pi (09-03-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of having Ford review my case as the pump failed on my 2011 F150 EB (65,000km)and cost $765 CDN to replace. I filed a complaint with Transport Canada who has an open investigation on this item 3280-04-68 Oct. 2014 and has assigned an investigator. There is a recent TSB as quoted below TSB 15-0105. The dealer was not aware of the TSB.

You can file a complaint at https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng.

Ford of Canada is offering some 'goodwill' but has not accepted this as a safety issue or mechanical design failure worthy of a recall or repairing after warranty expiry. Apparently the electric vacuum assist pump was replaced with a manual vacuum pump starting in 2013 in all F150 EB's and all failures are apparently only on 2011 and 2012 F150's not other EB vehicles. If having your unit repaired/replaced ensure they replace the harness kit which includes the hose.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vindication, finally!
Over 18 months ago I had this exact problem develop with my 2011, Ecoboost. Multiple trips to the dealer, contact with Ford, check by their regional tech "expert" all to have them deny that there was any problem with the brakes. Demonstrated to the service manager with simulated panic stops and showed him the difference between mine and a loaner. No help at all. Felt completely unsafe driving the truck.
Had my independent mechanic replace the booster pump and brakes back to normal. Demonstrated it again to the service manager and he somehow reimbursed me for the cost of the repair. Never any follow-up from Ford on the matter.
Just now starting to notice high pedal pressure required on start from cold - running the engine for a bit and pumping the pedal has seemed to help so far. Information here will help when I go back to the dealer again. I can't believe that 1) this isn't a more common problem and that it just isn't being noticed and2) that Ford isn't doing something more quickly as this is a major safety issue. I posted a thread here previously - Check your brakes first thing on a cold morning and see if you have a problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: US opens probe of Ford F-150 power brake failures