Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading steering wheel, need to connect new audio controls to new HU

Old 08-12-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrading steering wheel, need to connect new audio controls to new HU

Hey all, I'm a noob with vehicles, but I recently got a 2010 F-150 XLT, and would like to start upgrading. It came with a steering wheel that only has cruise controls, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have SYNC. It has a factory single CD/MP3/radio HU.

What I want to do is upgrade the HU to something modern and have volume + phone controls on the steering wheel. I've searched for information on what I need to make the whole thing work, but I can't connect all the dots.

First real question is: do I need SYNC? Can the HU take care of phone operations?

If so, my next question is how to hook up the new volume/phone controls so they work with the HU. From what I've gathered, I should be able to connect from the controls to a control interface like AXXESS, which then connects to the HU, and everything should work. I might need a wire harness to connect to the new controls, but then those wires should go to the control interface.

Can anyone confirm I have all the dots connected here? Is there more I need? Is there a better way?

If there's a thread I missed in my searching, please feel free to link me to it.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found a good post that more or less answers my question: https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford...ontrols-32335/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading steering wheel, need to connect new audio controls to new HU