Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading 18" Chrome Clad to 20" Platinums & 275/65/20s

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upgrading 18" Chrome Clad to 20" Platinums & 275/65/20s

Hi all, I've got a '10 Black XLT 4x4 and have been thinking about upgrading from the 18" chrome clad wheels to some 20" Platinum wheels. I've been looking at quite a few of the threads on adding new wheels and tires but still have a couple questions...

I'm thinking about putting on some BFG AT 275/65/20 tires and was wondering if the difference in ride quality/smoothness would change much from the stock 275/65/18? The tires would have the exact same sidewall height and width as what I have now, but would just add 2" to the overall height of the tire...
http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

With this new wheel tire combo, about how much would you predict the mpg's to drop?

Do you think it would be necessary to add a 2" level, or could I just keep the truck at stock height in the front and back and still be able to fit the 20" Platinums on those new BFG ATs? I would think if I could keep the truck at stock height and not add the level, it may help both the mpg's and the ride quality...

Also, with the TPMS, could I just transfer them out of my current set up into this new set up? Has anybody had any issues in doing this (going from a stock wheel to another stock wheel, but with bigger tires)?

Any help or pics would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 07-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

I've got a 4.6 in my '10 XLT Screw 2wd. I switched from the stock 18's to a set of stock 20's off of an FX4. In town driving fuel mileage has dropped approximately 1 mpg. I just returned from a 210 miles round trip. Half of the trip was at '65 mph and half at 70 mph. With the ac on I got 20.4 mpg round trip. The fuel mileage was not as bad as I thought it was going to be after changing the wheel and tire size.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ride Quality

Cool, thanks for the info! Btw, did you notice a big change in the smoothness of the ride at all? I've heard some people say that the ride quality changes quite a bit when you go to 20's especially if the side wall of the tire itself is much more thin that what it was on the 18's.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
I've got a 4.6 in my '10 XLT Screw 2wd. I switched from the stock 18's to a set of stock 20's off of an FX4. In town driving fuel mileage has dropped approximately 1 mpg. I just returned from a 210 miles round trip. Half of the trip was at '65 mph and half at 70 mph. With the ac on I got 20.4 mpg round trip. The fuel mileage was not as bad as I thought it was going to be after changing the wheel and tire size.
Going from stock 18" tires (275/65/18) to stock 20" tires (275/55/20) have no effect on mileage depending on type of tires. Stock = 32" dia for 18s and 31.83" for 20s, so of course you're seeing very little effect from the upgrde

What's he's asking is to add 2" to the overall diameter so he will take a hit to his mpg as it will take more power to get those 34" tires moving. If he's doing alot of highway driving he probably won't have much effect but around town it will cost in mpg
Old 07-30-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by drew3287
Hi all, I've got a '10 Black XLT 4x4 and have been thinking about upgrading from the 18" chrome clad wheels to some 20" Platinum wheels. I've been looking at quite a few of the threads on adding new wheels and tires but still have a couple questions...

I'm thinking about putting on some BFG AT 275/65/20 tires and was wondering if the difference in ride quality/smoothness would change much from the stock 275/65/18? The tires would have the exact same sidewall height and width as what I have now, but would just add 2" to the overall height of the tire...
http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

With this new wheel tire combo, about how much would you predict the mpg's to drop?

Do you think it would be necessary to add a 2" level, or could I just keep the truck at stock height in the front and back and still be able to fit the 20" Platinums on those new BFG ATs? I would think if I could keep the truck at stock height and not add the level, it may help both the mpg's and the ride quality...

Also, with the TPMS, could I just transfer them out of my current set up into this new set up? Has anybody had any issues in doing this (going from a stock wheel to another stock wheel, but with bigger tires)?

Any help or pics would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If you are worried about mpg don't do it as you'll regret it later and you won't be happy. If you're doing it for looks, I think it will look great. You can probably get away with not getting a level kit but will have rubbing issues when making tight turns. I'd recommend a level kit to really make it look right. You should be able to use the stock TPMS but will need a rebuild kit ($20). As far as ride, it will all depend on the type of tire; off-road vs. AT

Not my truck but here's exactly what you are looking for;
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2011, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AppDawg
If you are worried about mpg don't do it as you'll regret it later and you won't be happy. If you're doing it for looks, I think it will look great. You can probably get away with not getting a level kit but will have rubbing issues when making tight turns. I'd recommend a level kit to really make it look right. You should be able to use the stock TPMS but will need a rebuild kit ($20). As far as ride, it will all depend on the type of tire; off-road vs. AT

Not my truck but here's exactly what you are looking for;

I don't mean to thread jack you, but I have a very similar question on my platinum 2x4. I have the stock pirelli's on 20" platinum wheels. I need new rubber soon...

What is the max width and height you would recommend? I may get a 2" hbs leveling kit if needed but would rather not. I'm looking at the nitto tera grapplers, i think they look sick. Would be be able to get away with a 305/55/20 and not have any rubbing issues?

thx
Old 07-31-2011, 01:16 PM

305/55/20 with a 2" level kit would work and I'd also recommend a 1.5" block for the back to make sure it's even. You could use the stock rear blocks from a 4x4 as well. Again not my truck but here's a 2WD with 285/55/20, not exact but for reference
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Upgrading 18" Chrome Clad to 20" Platinums & 275/65/20s