Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra-gauge OBD2 system

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I was looking into getting a scan gauge II as I have a 2010 and don't have all the fancy info screens like the newer trucks do.
Wanted accurate temps for tranny and motor.

During my search I came across the Ultra-gauge!

Did research and it has tons of good reviews so I ordered one up. It was approximately half the price of the scanguage and does the same if not more! I think it looks way better and has more screen info per page. There are 7 pages with 8 info boxes per page.

It's easy to set up and after reading through the manual customizing is pretty easy.

There is a ton of info that can be obtained from the OBD port and it has many other parameters built in. You do have to do a little calibrating especially if you're not running stock tire size but it's basically driving so many miles and then put a value in and it calculates everything accurately!

Pretty happy so far, shipping was fast and it's a company out of Texas.

Pros:

Small
Tons of info per page
7 pages
Easy set up, just plug it in and it recognizes your truck and what systems it can read
Looks good
Has automatic backlighting due to ambient light

Cons:

Scrolling through the large menus can be tedious
Scrolling through the pages can only go one way, scroll to page 2 then instead of going back to page 1 you have to scroll through the rest to get back to first. It does have an auto scroll feature with custom features like time to flip pages.
Buttons are on back of unit so mounting may be difficult. It's a perfect size to mount behind the light pockets where the TBC is mounted and would like factory but no access to buttons.

Any questions, I'll try to answer but I'm still playing with it!

Ultra-gauge OBD2 system-image-1276209588.jpg

Last edited by RES4CUE; 01-01-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:49 PM

Ultra-gauge OBD2 system-image-3290067405.jpg
Old 01-02-2016, 01:29 AM
dannyboy

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

I've had both the UltraGauge (UG) and a ScanGauge 2(SG).

The UG is much nicer of a unit, and I agree with all you've posted. However, I like the SG's X-Gauge feature and a few other options (screen colors and more compact).

The UG went with my jeep when I sold it, and the SG made it into my truck onto a blendmount over my rear view mirror.

Last edited by Daniejw; 01-02-2016 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Daniejw
I've had both the UltraGauge (UG) and a ScanGauge 2(SG). The UG is much nicer of a unit, and I agree with all you've posted. However, I like the SG's X-Gauge feature and a few other options (screen colors and more compact). The UG went with my jeep when I sold it, and the SG made it into my truck onto a blendmount over my rear view mirror.
The Ultra gauge can now use the Xgauge codes if needed from what I read about programming.

I'm really liking it, it really matches the dash lights well also!

I liked the blend mount but between that and the scanguage it would have been almost $100 more than the ultra.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Wondering Around

Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

I assume the back lighting is bright enough during the day? But does it dim down really low for night driving?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by MT-Ford
I assume the back lighting is bright enough during the day? But does it dim down really low for night driving?
Yes, it has a light sensor built in on the right side of the screen.

It's really bright during the day and perfectly dim fro night. I was actually shocked how perfect it was out of the box.

You can customize the dim level if you wanted.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Wondering Around

Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

Thanks! I might have to get one, although I keep telling the wife I'm done spending on my truck.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by MT-Ford
Thanks! I might have to get one, although I keep telling the wife I'm done spending on my truck.
Lol, last night we went to dinner and after a couple minutes she asked what did you buy now when she saw it!

I paid $97 shipped with a different mount they offer, still $40 cheaper than scanguage on Amazon! It can also be moved from vehicle to vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
MT-Ford (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 AM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts

I have an ultra, I posted in another thread.

I loved it in my ranger. Not flashy, compact enough that it was outta the way. The suction cup never lost suction in the 4/5 years it was on my windshield.
Mine is an earlier model and it didn't come with kms as a measurement. I found out last year there was an upgrade and I never got around to mailing it in before I got my fiddy. I feel it's not needed in my truck now with this advanced display in my instrument cluster. I'll still hold on to it though for the OBD2 diagnostics.

I think I missed it but how did you mount it up there?

It's funny you mention the button location, I remember reading about a couple people who put small pieces of double sided tape or pads behind it so when you pushed the corners it made it able to scroll/push buttons a little easier.

Last edited by M0RRIS; 01-02-2016 at 10:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by M0RRIS
I have an ultra, I posted in another thread. I loved it in my ranger. Not flashy, compact enough that it was outta the way. The suction cup never lost suction in the 4/5 years it was on my windshield. Mine is an earlier model and it didn't come with kms as a measurement. I found out last year there was an upgrade and I never got around to mailing it in before I got my fiddy. I feel it's not needed in my truck now with this advanced display in my instrument cluster. I'll still hold on to it though for the OBD2 diagnostics. I think I missed it but how did you mount it up there? It's funny you mention the button location, I remember reading about a couple people who put small pieces of double sided tape or pads behind it so when you pushed the corners it made it able to scroll/push buttons a little easier.
I got a vertical mount that's made for the dash. I put it in the corner of windshield. I wanted a more low profile mount than suction cup mount. 3m tape is strong.

I saw the Velcro thing, yes if you mount using just Velcro you can probably just tap corners to activate buttons. Once set up I don't see much use of buttons unless you don't want auto scroll.

Quick Reply: Ultra-gauge OBD2 system