Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning on Brake Controller and Driving Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Turning on Brake Controller and Driving Lights?

So I installed the BL3Z-19H332-AA trailer brake controller. Called the dealer and asked what he would charge to plug in his computer and turn it on and the day time driving lights. Dealer quoted a price of $100 to turn on the TBC and another $100 for the lights.

My question is: don't they just find the controller in their menu and select "yes" then find day time driving lights and select "yes" then save the changes and their done? Why do dealers charge to turn on stuff that your truck already has? My build sheet shows max tow package and automatic lights.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When I went to the dealership to get my brake controller activated, they wanted to charge me 100$ as well. I raised hell and they lowered it 50 bucks. Still a rip off IMO haha. I just kept saying, "seriously 100$ bucks to flip a switch!". I hate my dealership, they always seem to want to rip me/people off.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Farmerdan
So I installed the BL3Z-19H332-AA trailer brake controller. Called the dealer and asked what he would charge to plug in his computer and turn it on and the day time driving lights. Dealer quoted a price of $100 to turn on the TBC and another $100 for the lights.

My question is: don't they just find the controller in their menu and select "yes" then find day time driving lights and select "yes" then save the changes and their done? Why do dealers charge to turn on stuff that your truck already has? My build sheet shows max tow package and automatic lights.

That's outrageous, find another dealer, or independent shop that has IDS.

Once the computer is hooked up all you have to do is switch to a different menu like going to a different web page. It's fairly common for a 1hr labor charge but charging double???? Nahh that's BS of the highest caliber.

The equipment required to make those changes is very expensive, (I bought one after my dealer charged me $90 to activate the remote start)

Old 06-09-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

True about the price. I asked the mechanic and here in Canada he said it cost 5 grand for the computer/IDS and a hefty monthly fee to keep it up to date.
I really hope the aftermarket community can eventually come out with something cheaper, cause right now it seems I have to be rich to work on my truck lol
Old 06-09-2014, 08:12 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by KTM F150
True about the price. I asked the mechanic and here in Canada he said it cost 5 grand for the computer/IDS and a hefty monthly fee to keep it up to date.
I really hope the aftermarket community can eventually come out with something cheaper, cause right now it seems I have to be rich to work on my truck lol
Typically dealers buy the entire package which like you said is around $5g, for programming and activating things like the afore mentioned you can get by with the basic hardware like I purchased for $1,500 usd.

Ebay has a lot of clones that I wouldn't trust so I bought the Bosch VCMII from a Ford authorized reseller on ebay for a little less than the Rotunda link I posted.

https://rotunda.service-solutions.co...9&catID=276333

Then you have to add on the software license which is $700 usd/yr

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...il_renewal.asp

Then you have to pay for the online training courses to know how to use the thing which starts @ $90/ class (basic operation)

Then you have to pay for in school classes (advanced operation) no idea what that costs but X10 the basic is likely when you factor in airfare or other transportation costs to go where they are at, possibly more.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
That's outrageous, find another dealer, or independent shop that has IDS.

Once the computer is hooked up all you have to do is switch to a different menu like going to a different web page. It's fairly common for a 1hr labor charge but charging double???? Nahh that's BS of the highest caliber.

The equipment required to make those changes is very expensive, (I bought one after my dealer charged me $90 to activate the remote start)

I have found two others shops and got the price down to $105 for both but....now get this. To turn on the TBC I have to install a "brake valve" and even though I have automatic lights I need to have them install a "day time sensor". That makes three ford dealers within 15 miles of me that either don't know what they are doing or are trying to rob their customers. I'm beginning to think I should have kept the old Silverado, it had all these items from the factory.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I was told that my F150 did not come with daytime running lights, therefor, there was nothing to turn on? I'm still puzzled over that one.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:01 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I have found two others shops and got the price down to $105 for both but....now get this. To turn on the TBC I have to install a "brake valve" and even though I have automatic lights I need to have them install a "day time sensor". That makes three ford dealers within 15 miles of me that either don't know what they are doing or are trying to rob their customers. I'm beginning to think I should have kept the old Silverado, it had all these items from the factory.
Well if you had equipped the truck prior to signing you could have had what you want but now are trying to do it after the fact.

TBC just needs turned on, never heard of anything they are saying.

Agree, you don't need more sensors as the DRL is in the software of truck.

It's so frustrating!

I found the programming procedure that Ford uses and gave it to the service advisor so they knew exactly what needed to be done and couldn't try to tell me different.

When I made appointment, they said it was a $100 but after they were done they charged $30.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:14 PM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

My dealer "owed" me a favor after destroying my vacation plans last summer and they turned on the DRL's in 5 minutes with a laptop at no charge.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cost me a case a beer to get the tbc, remote start, keypad in door and drl moved to park lights. By the sounds of it i got a good deal. Haha.

Quick Reply: Turning on Brake Controller and Driving Lights?