Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn off lights when unlocking, locking, or opening doors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 04:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Turn off lights when unlocking, locking, or opening doors?

Is there any settings or tricks to disable the lights coming on every time I unlock, lock, open, or close the door?

I find this "feature" unnecessary and it is annoying to others when you live in an apartment complex and park in front of someone's window or sliding door.
The following users liked this post:
konoplya (05-24-2022)
Old 06-20-2019, 05:14 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Not knowing exactly what you drive, the most effective and simplest way is to remove the bulbs.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:17 AM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

I came across the procedure for doing this to an Edge a while back so I'm sure you can. What I remember about the procedure was you almost have to memorize what to do because you don't get any time for reading as you do it. It involved putting the key in various positions of the ignition switch, pushing some buttons and sometimes you had to wait for the horn to sound before proceeding. The time allowed for each step was something like 3 to 5 seconds and there were a lot of steps. For your truck, sorry, can't help you with the procedure.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Arrow

Take your vehicle to a dealership and have them use their IDS (Intergrated Diagnostic System) or use Forscan to in effect disable the illuminated entry.

The module configuration parameter that needs to be changed is ...
Body Control Module (BCM)
» Police dark car feature » -enable-
What this gets you ...
  • interior -AND- all exterior (front / rear parking and cargo) lights do not come-on when the door is opened and/or closed. *EXCEPTION: Door key pad will still illuminate.
  • when the fob is used to lock|unlock the doors, the parking lights come-on/turn-off for a VERY brief moment. *The time that the lights illuminate is MUCH, MUCH shorter than "normal". Would describe it as a flash.
    When using the key fob to lock the doors, the horn will not sound as long as the fob is NOT double-clicked

As a BTW and FYI ...

Beginning in 2011 the instrument panel dimmer control changed to a rocker switch (from a roller thumbwheel) and with that change the ability to disable the illuminated entry feature was lost.

Prior to 2011 to disable the illuminated entry feature you only needed to rotate the instrument panel dimmer control thumbwheel to the left position, past the detent.

And Yes, I have the " Police dark car feature" -enabled-

Fleet F-150s and Expeditions that are ordered / intended for law enforcement agency use are shipped with the " Police dark car feature" -enabled-
Old 06-20-2019, 11:20 AM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Take your vehicle to a dealership and have them use their IDS (Intergrated Diagnostic System) or use Forscan to in effect disable the illuminated entry.

The module configuration parameter that needs to be changed is ...
Body Control Module (BCM)
» Police dark car feature » -enable-
What this gets you ...
  • interior -AND- all exterior (front / rear parking and cargo) lights do not come-on when the door is opened and/or closed. *EXCEPTION: Door key pad will still illuminate.
  • when the fob is used to lock|unlock the doors, the parking lights come-on/turn-off for a VERY brief moment. *The time that the lights illuminate is MUCH, MUCH shorter than "normal". Would describe it as a flash.
    When using the key fob to lock the doors, the horn will not sound as long as the fob is NOT double-clicked

As a BTW and FYI ...

Beginning in 2011 the instrument panel dimmer control changed to a rocker switch (from a roller thumbwheel) and with that change the ability to disable the illuminated entry feature was lost.

Prior to 2011 to disable the illuminated entry feature you only needed to rotate the instrument panel dimmer control thumbwheel to the left position, past the detent.

And Yes, I have the " Police dark car feature" -enabled-

Fleet F-150s and Expeditions that are ordered / intended for law enforcement agency use are shipped with the " Police dark car feature" -enabled-
No doubt this is the easiest way but at the local dealership here it's either $90 or $95 as of a couple of years ago to pull the VMM out to change something. It's also been a long time since I've seen a dealership that works by appointment. It's all first come first served so you're without your vehicle for at least a day. It's like the cable guy showing up in the afternoon for his 9 AM appointment.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:11 PM

Received 127 Likes on 109 Posts

I just want to say I dislike this “feature” also, If I want lights on, I’ll turn them on.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:25 AM

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

Use forscan like posted above. Very easy to use. Just find the sticky and follow directions. It might even be on the plain English options now.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Not knowing exactly what you drive, the most effective and simplest way is to remove the bulbs.
Well, the section is 2009 to 2014 F150... so,it is one of those....

Did you completely misunderstand my post or are you just a troll?
konoplya (05-24-2022)
Old 06-21-2019, 04:03 AM

Thanks for all of your help - to the ones who provided serious answers.
No thanks goes to the disturbed person who suggested I remove the bulbs - I can't say what I think of that as I'd be kicked out of here.
konoplya (05-24-2022)
Old 06-21-2019, 05:13 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by tlm550
Well, the section is 2009 to 2014 F150... so,it is one of those....

Did you completely misunderstand my post or are you just a troll?
2009-2010 don't have the module to deactivate interior lighting, (dark car aka police mode) only 2011> do which is why I made that statement.

You have a nice life.

Quick Reply: Turn off lights when unlocking, locking, or opening doors?