Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a tuner that's invisible to a dealer for EcoBoost engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a tuner that's invisible to a dealer for EcoBoost engine

As title says.
Is there a tuner that is invisible to dealers?
I know Diablosport tuners are but there's no programmer for EcoBoost F150's from them.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

not that im aware of...a dealer can tell no matter what if you messed with a vehicles PCM...and then its bye bye warranty
Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 AM

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I think there is misinformation here as others have asked this question in several other posts and the results were just flash back to stock and no one will ever know...

So bump for a def answer.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:55 AM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Flash back to stock and then disconnect battery cable and hold them together to drain capacitors. After that give it a few good miles on it before you take it in to relearn some things.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 579 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by djfllmn
not that im aware of...a dealer can tell no matter what if you messed with a vehicles PCM...and then its bye bye warranty
Don't think that is the case. Numerous members have said they have no issues taking it back to dealer and getting work done without being hassled. You can put it back to stock, however it will show that it has been flashed. From what I understand, normal techs and for normal warranty issues, they will never look and have to dig deeper to see the flash. Now, I am also waiting for a more definitive answer, but that is what I have read.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by rdkev

Don't think that is the case. Numerous members have said they have no issues taking it back to dealer and getting work done without being hassled. You can put it back to stock, however it will show that it has been flashed. From what I understand, normal techs and for normal warranty issues, they will never look and have to dig deeper to see the flash. Now, I am also waiting for a more definitive answer, but that is what I have read.
This is how the dealer i work at does it. We are not Ford anymore, but i know allot of the mechanics. I asked them about this, as this question comes up allot on here. They said they can def see that its been tuned, and put back...but they just plain don't care, and will honor the warranty. Hell we warranty stone chips! How many dealers do that!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

They won't care until the warranty claim is about the tranny or motor, but if your claim is on bad seals or bad radio, I don't even think they can deny it by law.

So what I've gathered from these threads is that yeah, they can see it, and they won't care unless you're tranny is shot
Old 05-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Paint Polishing Guru

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

If they bore scope they will see it, so yes a true inspection will show its been tuned. I have a friend at the SVT division and has said they will always look for a tune on such a warranty claim of engine or tranny.

Cheers,
GREG
Old 05-16-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Regardless if the tech can see the flash history, the dealership doesn't care most of the time. They just want the warranty repair money from Ford. They are obligated by Ford to look for evidence of tampering but most of the time it's an oversight unless you have a dealership that is very by the books.

If you melt down a motor or destroy a trans, Ford is investigating more than they used too before they approve the repair. You have to expect they are going to ask some questions before dishing out a $20k repair bill under warranty.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:32 PM
AAG

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been told by techs at a local Ford dealer NOT to tune your truck unless you want to risk voiding your warranty. They can see it even when you go back to stock.

You gotta pay to play, do it at your own risk is how I see it. Why should you be covered if you modified your vehicle beyond factory specs?
The following users liked this post:
rdkev (05-17-2013)

Quick Reply: Is a tuner that's invisible to a dealer for EcoBoost engine