Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Jerks at very low speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Jerks at very low speed

OK guys, be kind-I am new to the forum but not new to Ford trucks. I just upgraded to a 2010 5.4 4x4 Scab and it has like a slight misfire or bounce at very low speeds. It tends to vary some from better to worse but never goes away. No codes. Plugs have been replaced and fuel system cleaned (today). I really thought plugs would take care of it but it is no different. Mileage is fine (for a 5.4) and you feel nothing at speed-even at 10mph. It only seems to do it right before stopping or right at taking off. Mechanic doesn't think it is a coil pack because they get worse under load and this is happening at idle. He is going to check in to it to see if he can find something. Any ideas from you guys? I don't really want to randomly throw money at it-plugs were bad enough!
Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Remove your driveline and grease the splines.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:19 PM

I have not tried greasing the splines since it isn't lurching like a lot of people describe. When it was having one of its spells the other day I put it in neutral and could still feel the slight miss-or whatever. I sprayed around looking for a vacuum leak and couldn't find anything there. VCT and cam phasers have been mentioned but I don't have the knocking, sounding like a diesel or dying like others mention. The only thing I have seen that seems odd is a white powder around the 2nd or 3rd plug boot on the passenger side. I don't remember exactly which one off hand. I also don't see any real fluctuations in the tach when it is doing it. This is driving me crazy..
Old 03-24-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How many miles? Could need a throttle body cleaning?
Old 03-24-2016, 08:59 PM

It has about 133k. Throttle body was cleaned when they did the fuel system. I also cleaned the MAF and put in a new air filter. Nothing really seems to change the issue.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:11 AM

I think I know the issue now. Low compression in cylinder one. I'm very disappointed, as you can probably imagine. I'm working one getting hold of the dealer to discuss the issue since the symptoms were brought up right after purchasing the truck and even though it was in their shop for 2 days they did nothing because of no codes. We'll see. I don't know if it is rings or valves yet but I know both are not cheap. It's a shame because this truck is immaculate.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:08 PM

Default spark plugs

Mine jerked at 40/45 MPH
I changed the plugs and it stopped.

Originally Posted by Michael Trace
OK guys, be kind-I am new to the forum but not new to Ford trucks. I just upgraded to a 2010 5.4 4x4 Scab and it has like a slight misfire or bounce at very low speeds. It tends to vary some from better to worse but never goes away. No codes. Plugs have been replaced and fuel system cleaned (today). I really thought plugs would take care of it but it is no different. Mileage is fine (for a 5.4) and you feel nothing at speed-even at 10mph. It only seems to do it right before stopping or right at taking off. Mechanic doesn't think it is a coil pack because they get worse under load and this is happening at idle. He is going to check in to it to see if he can find something. Any ideas from you guys? I don't really want to randomly throw money at it-plugs were bad enough!

Last edited by crazydoglady; 04-07-2016 at 06:14 PM. Reason: I think I added a picture by mistake
Old 04-07-2016, 06:18 PM

sounds liek a msifre

Quick Reply: Truck Jerks at very low speed