Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Eats tires

Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Eats tires

Hello all and thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I bought a 2013 F-150 STX 4x4 new in January 2013. Now have 55K miles. This truck really eats tires. Original set was Goodyear Wrangler A/T. I got 14K miles on that set of tires. Next I put Firestone Destination A/T and got 24K. Set now is Michelin Highway truck tires. I have 16K on these and will have to replace in another 5-7K miles. I am 70 y/o, don't hot rod, never any tough off road, maybe in an even field. very seldom. Keep tires and wheels rotated every 6-7K miles. Anybody experiencing this sort of tire wear. Any suggestions or recommendations on next set of tires? Thanks, David

Added, tire wear is even due to regular rotation balance and alignment.

Last edited by madwfla; 03-19-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Have you checked your alignment lately? That would be a quick and easy check.

I have a 2013 myself, bought new in April 2013. My original Goodyear wranglers lasted about 30k miles, but I have friends with '11 and 12' who only got 15-20k, and they weren't exactly easy on theirs. My second set of tires were BFG TA KOs. I got about 40k miles out of these. I'm currently running some cheap Jetzon Trailcutters. They have about 20k on them and need replaced by June or I will fail my inspection. I rotate my tires with every 5k mile oil change, and have never needed an alignment. Everything is wearing pretty evenly. On a per-mile basis, I'm getting a better deal going with with more expensive BFGs, so I'm going to put the TA KO2s on this spring. I also think the BFGs performed way better than the Wranglers or Trailcutters, so its a win-win for me.

I do a lot of highway driving and towing/hauling, so I expect that to eat up AT tires fairly quickly, but I need a meaty tire to get into my hunting and fishing spots. I'm content with my tires lasting at least 40k. Your mileage definitely seems low to me. I would check your alignment first, especially if you are noticing any weird wear patterns.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:58 AM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Hi David! Welcome to the forum!
What kind of wear are you getting? Is it both front and rears that are wearing rapidly? It's posible you may have an alignment issue if they are wearing quicker on the fronts. I would get the alignment checked to make sure it's not an issue before putting on a new set!
​​​​​​​Mike
Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Originally Posted by antony1103
Welcome to the forum! Have you checked your alignment lately? That would be a quick and easy check.

I have a 2013 myself, bought new in April 2013. My original Goodyear wranglers lasted about 30k miles, but I have friends with '11 and 12' who only got 15-20k, and they weren't exactly easy on theirs. My second set of tires were BFG TA KOs. I got about 40k miles out of these. I'm currently running some cheap Jetzon Trailcutters. They have about 20k on them and need replaced by June or I will fail my inspection. I rotate my tires with every 5k mile oil change, and have never needed an alignment. Everything is wearing pretty evenly. On a per-mile basis, I'm getting a better deal going with with more expensive BFGs, so I'm going to put the TA KO2s on this spring. I also think the BFGs performed way better than the Wranglers or Trailcutters, so its a win-win for me.

I do a lot of highway driving and towing/hauling, so I expect that to eat up AT tires fairly quickly, but I need a meaty tire to get into my hunting and fishing spots. I'm content with my tires lasting at least 40k. Your mileage definitely seems low to me. I would check your alignment first, especially if you are noticing any weird wear patterns.
we must have both hit the submit reply button at the same time! LOL!
Old 03-19-2018, 10:03 AM

Every time I rotate I have the 4 wheel alignment checked and corrected if necessary. I do live in the mountains of western North Carolina and also do a lot of highway driving. The only thing I ever pull is an HD Ultra on a landscape type trailer, but this is only a couple of times a year.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

With no alignment issues, it does seem like you're going through tires pretty fast, but unfortunately the only ones similar to you that I have experience with are the Wranglers. My only other guess would be an IWE issue? A vacuum leak or stuck solenoid may be keeping your hubs engaged and causing more wear on your front tires. Its a stretch, but that about all I can come up with... The IWE system is easy to diagnose once you read up on how it works, or a dealer should be able to do it quickly with a minimal labor charge. I usually check mine every year or so since a lot of people on the forum have trouble with theirs.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:12 AM

Old 03-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

When you say wear them out, are you wearing them out in tread depth or are they worn out in other ways like worn out on the sides or unevenly? Lots of factors can contribute to early wear, but at 55k miles, you shouldn't be on a 3rd set of tires unless something else is wrong. Have you taken it to a tire shop and asked them what they think might be going on?

Worst case, next set of tires, get a set with a long tread life warranty so they get replaced for nearly for free in case it happens again!
Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

Well he said the wear is even. So that rules out alignment issues. It's VERY odd to go through tires that fast. The originals on my truck lasted 60,000 and the ones I'm on right now have 26,000 on them with 50% of the tread remaining. I drive gravel roads daily, tow trailers, interstates at high speed, etc. Something very odd going on with his truck.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

14K miles and tires are worn out ? something's wrong..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck Eats tires