Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck App -Off Road- Pitch/Angle & Turning Screen Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Question Truck App -Off Road- Pitch/Angle & Turning Screen Issue

I've only had my truck 2 wks and I usually leave the Truck App- Pitch & Angle screen on. I swear that until today it usually acted very consistent and seemed to be accurate no matter what speed I was going.

But today while I was on the highway it started acting weird. I was on slightly banked lane and maybe 1-3% grade roads but the front/back angle was quickly changing from 3% downhill,to 8-10% uphill when there was hardly had any grade in the road. Now I did notice it seemed to be worse when I was in the left lane, maybe because of the crown on the roads the outer lanes lean outward. If I was in the middle lane it almost seemed to read accurately, but occasionally still gave me incorrect readings.

If I'm stopped and then slowly go up/down a steep driveway it's fine and even if I'm going less than 40-50 mph it seems ok. And the side to side angle seems to be correct all the time and never gives weird readings no matter how fast i'm going.

Can you guys all keep an eye on this and see if it does the same thing. Try staying in the left or right lane on the highway when you're going up and down slightly pitched roads and see if it reads wacky numbers.

The manual says nothing about speed limitations and there is no chatter on the forums about this problem and hardly any about the App itself since it's new. I just don't want to waste my time at the dealer if it's just how it works. I can always go take another truck for a test drive to compare and I will if others here say mine the only one doing this.

Thanks a lot, appreciate it!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do all our trucks have this app? I've never hear of it....
Old 03-20-2011, 11:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4Falle
Do all our trucks have this app? I've never hear of it....
2011 that have the 4" center display have
It I believe.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
2011 that have the 4" center display have
It I believe.
Yes, certain 2011's have this 4.2" LCD screen. It shows, fuel economy, Trans temp, 4x4 status, gear selected, trailer info, and you have other settings like Mykey, locks, lighting etc.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have it '11 XLT screw 5.0 4x4
Old 03-21-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I've noticed at highway speeds, my readings will be way off. Will say I'm going down hill when actually going up, and vice versa. I think it was intended for off road speeds only. Seems it just can't keep up with the quick changes in elevation at highway speed. If not, well then I guess mine is bad too!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by piercede
I've noticed at highway speeds, my readings will be way off. Will say I'm going down hill when actually going up, and vice versa. I think it was intended for off road speeds only. Seems it just can't keep up with the quick changes in elevation at highway speed. If not, well then I guess mine is bad too!
Thanks for the reply. Let's see if a few other people are experiencing the same thing. If so then it's only accurate at slow speeds, which is fine I just want to know if it's malfunctioning.

But who knows maybe it is supposed to work at all speeds and Ford has some work to do, lol.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:46 PM
2011 SCREW 6.5' EB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have it '11 XLT EB with screen. I haven't tried it on highway, but I would imagine that it was itended for off-road use and off-road speeds.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree with others regarding Off-Road Use/Speeds. Personally I never felt the use for it on the roads as I think this was intended for Off-Road use only plus I am always in the Fuel Economy screen due to increasing fuel costs and baby my truck to keep some casual spending money in my wallet versus my tank.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I read your post before I left for work today so I figured I'd try mine out on the highway. The highway on my way to work is really flat for pitch, but has a crown so each lane has a little bit of a roll angle. The roll angle seemed pretty accurate (1 to 3 degrees) and the pitch angle was right at zero. I was only going about 60 (people in Washington don't like to speed.....crazy). But my guess is that this is more affected by acceleration than speed. So I tried accelerating and decelerating on on the highway and it had no effect, but I was on level ground where I wouldn't think it would affect the reading. It probably just gets messed up when accelerating/decelerating up a hill. For the sake of science, I'll go find a big hill and accelerate at full throttle and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Truck App -Off Road- Pitch/Angle & Turning Screen Issue