Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Temperature Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Project: Big Red

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Transmission Temperature Gauge

I just randomly noticed this today and I can't really say whether I ever noticed it in the past or not, but I am wondering if this happens to all of you or not.

I got back from San Antonio and that is 120 miles roundtrip for me. I got home and turned the truck off, but then got right back in it to head off to work. I turned it on and started up as normal, but I noticed that the transmission temperature gauge was all the way to the left like it wasn't warm at all.

Just kind of wondering whether I am losing my mind and it has always done this in the past or I just now noticed it cause I looked at it closely this time. When I drove off it took no time for it to go back to it's normal spot, but just like the actual engine coolant gauge, if you get out of the truck and turn it off but then get right back in and start it up the engine coolant temp gauage will go to showing normal temp cause you just turned it off.

Should it be doing that for the transmission temp or no?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 PM

Here are pictures to show you what I am talking about right now. The first picture is after the truck has warmed up and then the next picture is after I turn it off and turn it right back on...
Attached Images   
Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Mine does the same thing, though it'll raise quickly once you get moving. If you goto the digital gauge it reads the actual all the time.
The following users liked this post:
JVPPC187 (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM

It definitely moves quickly once I get driving and the digital gauge always reads normal if I were to stop the truck, turn it off, and then turn it back on... it isn't like it'll show 0 or 150 when it was just 195 or something along those lines, but I can't say that I ever really noticed this in the past and it's why it kind of threw me off a little bit.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:56 PM
[Something Funny Here]

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Are those dummy gauges like they are in most cars? Low, Middle, High, that's it? Can't say I have really watched them move. I just assume all cars are now a days.
JVPPC187 (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 05:08 PM

As long as it "acting" that way is normal and all of you see it on your truck. Then I have no problem with it at all. My truck runs great and I don't see any issue with the transmission. It shifts like butter and chirps like a bird if I need it to for whatever reason...
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Same here. One day it took 20 minutes for it to climb.

Today had already been driving for over an hour. turned it off for 5 minutes, then back on later to run another errand.

the Trans temp guage was all the way to the left. I was thinking the same thing.. how could that be... After I got on the highway, it slowly climbed back to where it was before....

Strange, but we've noticed it at least.
JVPPC187 (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

My 2013 does the same thing. It has from day one. The temp sensor must be in a place where it's allowed to cool quickly when the motor is off. At least that's my theory.
JVPPC187 (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 AM

Good to know it's happening to others and I got nothing to worry about right now.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trannie temp guage fluctuating

My 2013 , xlt 5.0. The transmission guage will run normal, then while driving that guage will drop all the way down to C. While it's stuck down there my truck feels like it's bogged down. Like it's tied to a tree and tryna drive off. The rpm will climb ever slightly higher. And she'll feel like she's struggling. Soon as that guages drops back out to normal the truck will run smooth again. I came on here looking for answers and found this thread. Guess it's clear what needs be done. First and foremost. There's a recall on the 2013. The Molded Lead frame needs be replaced on them. This year particularly has all kindsa bad temperamental issues. Mine hasn't shown any but what the one I mentioned. Hopefully they will do a oil change and filter while at it. You would think. Else would. Because they need it every 60k miles. Ford don't tell you that. So recall with service and I'm hoping that's that. After I'll add aftermarket guage to the transmission. With that Lead Frame it also needs a replacement thermal bypass valve . I forget the names. See pic. Also look into transmission cooling lines just busting and running trannie dry while driving. Be aware for that one. Quick connects on the cooler lines just giving in splitting. Look Into that one fellas.

Quick Reply: Transmission Temperature Gauge