Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fixed under 16N02

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Transmission Fixed under 16N02

My truck is a 2011 FX4 Eco with 115k miles. I've been having transmission problems all year. First started out as hard shifts from 1-2 and 3-2. Then I would randomly lose my speedometer and odometer and the truck would go into limp mode 3-5 gears only. If I turned the truck off and back on it would go back to normal and no codes were ever stored. This past Monday on my way home from work the truck got stuck in 1st gear. I had a feeling based on stuff I've been reading that the molded lead frame may be the culprit so I took it to the dealer. They called the next day and said I was right and they would fix it however the lead frame was on national back order with no ETA. I was able to locate one at a dealer on the east coast and my local dealer gat it shipped in overnight and repaired my truck today. Now it shifts smooth and fingers crossed that no more limp mode is on the horizon. Ford recalled some 2011-2012 F150s for this and extended the coverage on the lead frame to 10 years or 150k miles. The recall notice to dealers is 16N02 just in case you need it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Deerhunter4:
0488FB (09-30-2017), 150ECO (05-08-2018), Dunrollin (09-29-2017), FerdinandF150 (04-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Beats the $3500 rebuild you were quoted.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by FLXLT
Beats the $3500 rebuild you were quoted.
No kidding. I left that part out but I did take it to a mom and pop transmission shop. They had it for a week and couldn't tell me what was wrong and said it just needed to be rebuilt.

Today is opening day of archery season here in Texas so I'm packing up to go hunt this evening. I have to drive about 100 miles this afternoon so hopefully I'll be able to report that it's fixed for good.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Deerhunter4
No kidding. I left that part out but I did take it to a mom and pop transmission shop. They had it for a week and couldn't tell me what was wrong and said it just needed to be rebuilt.

Today is opening day of archery season here in Texas so I'm packing up to go hunt this evening. I have to drive about 100 miles this afternoon so hopefully I'll be able to report that it's fixed for good.
I don't think outside of the dealer that many trans places are familiar with these transmissions. Maybe a place specialized in diagnosis of ZF transmissions.

Good luck out there!
Old 10-01-2017, 10:25 AM

Not only did my transmission work perfectly for the trip I had a blessed hunt last evening.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Fixed under 16N02-photo692.jpg  
Old 10-02-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 128 Likes on 110 Posts

Mine is going in tomorrow to hopefully have this done. My transmission has been going freaking nuts the past couple months. Mostly getting the wrench, losing speedo, odo dashes, 2000 rpm max, and locked in 5th gear until I turn it off and back on. Got check engine light and code P0720 for output speed sensor circuit once. Had to clear it so I could get to work and haven't had it come back since. After one of the restarts, I was making a turn through an intersection, and it got moving, then just stuttered and revved barely moving, then all of a sudden engaged and hauled @$$...pretty scary with oncoming traffic. Yesterday while putting around the hunting land, it finally wouldn't even move when I applied throttle...shift to park, back to D, it would start to move, then just rev. Decided I better head toward the gate and hope I could make it home. Luckily I did, but it wouldn't shift into first gear anymore, only 2-6. I just hope to get some fast resolution, as our season starts in 12 days, and I have a lot to do and don't want to die with this truck acting like a POS.

Nice buck! Congrats!
Old 10-02-2017, 10:37 PM

Grats on the truck and the buck!
Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by UARandy3
Mine is going in tomorrow to hopefully have this done. My transmission has been going freaking nuts the past couple months. Mostly getting the wrench, losing speedo, odo dashes, 2000 rpm max, and locked in 5th gear until I turn it off and back on. Got check engine light and code P0720 for output speed sensor circuit once. Had to clear it so I could get to work and haven't had it come back since. After one of the restarts, I was making a turn through an intersection, and it got moving, then just stuttered and revved barely moving, then all of a sudden engaged and hauled @$$...pretty scary with oncoming traffic. Yesterday while putting around the hunting land, it finally wouldn't even move when I applied throttle...shift to park, back to D, it would start to move, then just rev. Decided I better head toward the gate and hope I could make it home. Luckily I did, but it wouldn't shift into first gear anymore, only 2-6. I just hope to get some fast resolution, as our season starts in 12 days, and I have a lot to do and don't want to die with this truck acting like a POS.

Nice buck! Congrats!
Good luck on this. Your symptoms sound similar to what mine was doing so hopefully that will be the fix. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 F150 Eco that fits within the time specification of coverage. Ford has denied my claim, but will not tell my why. The dealership tells me to talk to Ford about it, Ford tells me to talk to the dealership. I wound up buying the part myself and installing it. Extremely frustrated with Ford, as my speedo would drop out and attempt to shift to 1st several times on the freeway, with my kids in the car. Oh, and the dealership had my car for 5 days before telling me it wouldn't be covered. Got it back with a dead battery.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mjkunert - any update from the dealer or Ford? I'm in a similar fight with a 2013 that was manufactured in the last days of the Recall window. Same issue being bounced from Ford to dealer and back again.