Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case trouble - F-150 Nightmare saga continues

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Default Transfer case trouble - F-150 Nightmare saga continues

Well, here we are 28 hours after I get back from the dealer with yet another issue. Tonight I went out to go pull my buddy's Mazda 3 out of the ditch after he lost control on black ice. I hook up the tow strap, back up to let up the slack, engage 4HI, wait for the message to disappear on the dash and slowly back up. All I get is my back wheels spinning and a loud tick/grind sound. I couldn't get it to engage 4HI for the life of me. After stopping many times, rolling forward, engaging 2HI and trying again, it still wouldn't go. After 20 minutes of trying it finally went "SLAM" into 4x4 and I pulled him out of the ditch like nothing.

So I go and experiment:
1. Stop in deep snow or on an incline
2. Let rear end spin a bit
3. Stop completely and wait a second
4. Engage 4HI
5. Wait for click underneath and message to disappear on dash
6. Accelerate lightly
7. Grind for eternity as your friend in the Mazda 3 laughs
8. SLAM into 4x4

This has been going on for awhile. It is especially irritating in parking lots. I didn't pay for the FX-eventually-4 package. This is not just gears meshing, this is some sort of catastrophic f*ckery going on in my t-case.

So it's off to the dealer we go again, for the 22nd time overall, not counting the times that I've made it 2 miles before turning around to go back for the same problem. My truck is for sale as of yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdoYu...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-17-2013, 12:41 AM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

Who is going to buy this truck for any reasonable amount of money given all of the issues?? Do you plan to disclose all that has happened?
Old 11-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by jwanck11
Who is going to buy this truck for any reasonable amount of money given all of the issues?? Do you plan to disclose all that has happened?
**** no I don't plan on disclosing problem history. If I ever buy a used vehicle I'm taking the VIN and having a dealer check the service history, any intelligent person would do the same.

This truck had hail damage repaired by paintless dent repair people as well. I will disclose that. It's going to be a tough sell, I'll probably end up trading worse comes to worst. I really want to get rid of it fast, I found my new truck at my dealer waiting for me!
Old 11-17-2013, 12:54 AM

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds like you broke it somehow.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:09 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Roughneck12
Sounds like you broke it somehow.
Don't think it was anything that I've ever done. I've always stopped, turned the dial, waited for the click underneath and the dash message to disappear then accelerated again. That, or engaged 4HI in motion.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:11 AM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour
I really want to get rid of it fast, I found my new truck at my dealer waiting for me!
Another Ford?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:11 AM
hi!

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour
**** no I don't plan on disclosing problem history.
You sir, are a dick.
The following users liked this post:
sullyman (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 01:13 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by RDFTS
Another Ford?
Yes. 2013 5.0L FX4 in Oxford white. No other similarly equipped truck can even come close to the deals on the Fords right now.

Originally Posted by jetlag
You sir, are a dick.
I know. And If anyone looks at my maintenance records they're going to **** bricks and run far, far away.

Last edited by HCFX2013; 11-17-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:25 AM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

That's dedication to the Ford brand. If I had to bring in my truck 22 times for the same problem, I would vow to never own a Ford again. I purchased a new 86' Camaro Z-28 back then and had it to the dealer for the same problem 12+ times. That was enough for me as my communication to GM corporate fell on deaf ears when I took it that far. Figured my only recourse was to never buy another GM for the rest of my life. Almost 30 yrs later kept to my word. Someone asked me if I would take a new chevy if it was given to me for free, like in a drawing or something. Nope, I would sell it though and get another brand. If I was in your shoes, I would be looking at a Toyota or Ram but that's me. Is your issue with the IWE system maybe?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:38 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by RDFTS
That's dedication to the Ford brand. If I had to bring in my truck 22 times for the same problem, I would vow to never own a Ford again. I purchased a new 86' Camaro Z-28 back then and had it to the dealer for the same problem 12+ times. That was enough for me as my communication to GM corporate fell on deaf ears when I took it that far. Figured my only recourse was to never buy another GM for the rest of my life. Almost 30 yrs later kept to my word. Someone asked me if I would take a new chevy if it was given to me for free, like in a drawing or something. Nope, I would sell it though and get another brand. If I was in your shoes, I would be looking at a Toyota or Ram but that's me. Is your issue with the IWE system maybe?
My last GM was a disaster even though the 2014 Sierra is tempting (but too expensive at 56,000 all in for a similarly equipped truck to the FX4 which is around $41k) and I didn't like the Ram's seats or the way it looks. Toyota wants $48,000 for a Tundra SR5 so that's out too. Only thing I can try with Ford is a different engine. One last chance to redeem themselves before I swear them off completely. I really love the F-150 as a product. I like the way it looks, drives and I like this community. It's just a damn shame that I got a bad one, is all.

If the next one is a lemon too I'll be going back to GM.

My buddy thinks the t-case problem is an encoder motor, Whatever the hell that is.

Quick Reply: Transfer case trouble - F-150 Nightmare saga continues