Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transfer Case Fluid

I'm baaaaaaack! After being shunned from the forum for a month by a hypocritical jackwagon of a moderator, I'm back. During that time I've discovered more confusion and wrongdoing on Ford's behalf. I am planning on changing my transfer case fluid. Easy enough, right? Wrong. Ford has discontinued the XL-12 fluid and is now saying it is replaced with Mercon LV. Now, anyone who knows these trucks knows that we were told to never put the Mercon V in the transfer case. That's why XL-12 came along. Now there's no more XL-12. So, researching online I've seen some guys saying that the Mercon LV is now being used by Ford and it's the new thing. Just because it's being used by Ford doesn't make it the right call (after what I've experienced). The cost of the Mercon LV compared to XL-12 is wayyyy different too. The XL-12 is much more expensive compared to the Mercon LV. Not saying that cost of product equates to a better product but it just doesn't add up to me. My truck has only had the XL-12 in it for it's entire 135,000 mile life. Fortunately I found a guy in SC selling the XL-12 and I bought myself quite a few.

The icing on the cake is I called multiple Ford dealerships and spoke with their service departments about this issue. One said to not use the Mercon LV because it could lead to premature wear. The other side to use the Mercon LV because it's what Ford uses now and the XL-12 no longer exists. Yet a third Ford service department told me to use Valvoline Transfer Case Fluid because it is the same specs as the former XL-12.

Ban me again if you want but this is another case of Ford incompetence. When transfer cases start going to hell a year from now I'll stop by to say "I told you so" then drive off in my Dodge or Chevy.

Thoughts?
Old 05-09-2019, 03:33 PM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

First thought: There's a difference between complaining about (1) Ford, (2) other posters, and (3) mods. Personal recommendation from me, you should learn the difference before you come on internet forums.

Now, about transfer case: https://www.f150forum.com/f38/little...please-411020/
The following users liked this post:
XMP64 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 03:39 PM

that entire link was literally zero help. it's a bunch of guys who are confused and a screenshot of the owners manual which states the xl-12 which is no longer around. i'm looking for answers. not more of the same old ford confusion where nobody is on the same page... even the people who works for the same company.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Pretty simple really, and that thread answered all your questions if you read the entire thing. Sounds like Ford updated the non Torque on Demand T-case spec to now use the Mercon LV. https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...ission%20Fluid

But if you're not OK with that then use the XL-12 if you don't have the TOD T-case and use the LV if you do have it.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:32 PM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

What makes you think you'll blow up your transfer case with LV? Most dealers don't know any better than the average owner to.

I doubt you'll make any incredibly measurable wear by using LV in a transfer case that isn't TOD.

Btw that Chevy or Ram may leave you just as stranded. They're all the same and play the same game. I love when people think one brand is going to be miles ahead of the other???
Old 05-09-2019, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by diegoo.jayjay
What makes you think you'll blow up your transfer case with LV? Most dealers don't know any better than the average owner to.

I doubt you'll make any incredibly measurable wear by using LV in a transfer case that isn't TOD.

Btw that Chevy or Ram may leave you just as stranded. They're all the same and play the same game. I love when people think one brand is going to be miles ahead of the other???

What makes me think that? Ummmm, what?

1) The fact that the owners manual states, in black & white ink, that there is a certain fluid for ESOF (XL-12) and then a separate fluid for TOD (Mercon LV). You're telling me that my transfer case magically changed over the span of 6 years to accept the fluid that Ford previously said not to use?

2) The fact that I called a Ford service tech and he told me using the Mercon LV could lead to premature wear.

3) The fact that there is mass confusion online and nobody knows what is good and what is bad.

Are those reason enough for you? Or should I continue to spell this out for you?

Last edited by JakeEllis43; 05-09-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeEllis43
3) The fact that there is mass confusion online and nobody knows what is good and what is bad.
If that is your thought process, why did you bring your question to the place you deem less likely to give you an accurate answer?
The following 3 users liked this post by RLXXI:
13XLTEco (05-11-2019), Envious (05-09-2019), white08gt (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
If that is your thought process, why did you bring your question to the place you deem less likely to give you an accurate answer?

I was hoping the self-proclaimed expert you are would chime in and tell me I should just fill the case with water.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:32 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeEllis43
I was hoping the self-proclaimed expert you are would chime in and tell me I should just fill the case with water.

The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
13XLTEco (05-11-2019), Massshole13sc (05-10-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 10:02 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

1. And ... "my transfer case / My truck" IS?

HINT/TIP: Put your -COMPLETE- vehicle information (year, model, cab, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, mileage, modifications, etc., etc.) in your signature -OR- provide it in your posting(s).

*Telepathic or Carnac we're not.
  2. Motorcraft XL-12 is available. e.g. Amazon, Rock Auto, etc.
  3. Reviewing F-150 owner's manuals show that the spec' for "Transfer case fluid (Torque On Demand)" as of 2012 is WSS-M2C938-A MERCON LV.
    * XL-12 for (Electronic Shift-On-the-Fly)

Last edited by gDMJoe; 05-09-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Fluid