Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Temp Reading

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Trans Temp Reading

I have a AeroForce gauge which reads various parameters directly from the ECU off the OBDII port, one of which is transmission temp.

Before installing a Derale heatsink, the trans generally ran 195-205 with jaunts up to 230 after climbing hills. After installation, the trans is reading 195-200, it just takes MUCH longer to reach those same temps. I was hoping to see a 20-30 degree drop in operating temps.

Thinking of installing another gauge after the heatsink to see what the return temp is.

Does anyone know where is the factory temp probe is located? I am seeing temps directly off the torque converter?
Old 03-13-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard5.0
I have a AeroForce gauge which reads various parameters directly from the ECU off the OBDII port, one of which is transmission temp.

Before installing a Derale heatsink, the trans generally ran 195-205 with jaunts up to 230 after climbing hills. After installation, the trans is reading 195-200, it just takes MUCH longer to reach those same temps. I was hoping to see a 20-30 degree drop in operating temps.

Thinking of installing another gauge after the heatsink to see what the return temp is.

Does anyone know where is the factory temp probe is located? I am seeing temps directly off the torque converter?
The fluid temperature is read at the valve body. This is the temp of the fluid after it returns to the pan. The transmission temp is regulated by a thermostat. Any additional cooling will slow the rise, but not it's peak. These are the temps I see when towing and are in the normal range.

Last edited by redneck wrencher; 03-13-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:47 PM

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping an additional cooler would limit the peak, not simply prolong the time it stays cool. I suppose adding another gauge post cooler isnt necessary then.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:34 PM

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard5.0
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping an additional cooler would limit the peak, not simply prolong the time it stays cool. I suppose adding another gauge post cooler isnt necessary then.
Not really. You are already measuring the temp of the fluid after it has cooled and pre filter & pump. Putting a gauge port in the return line or pan would not tell you much. Additional cooling helps once the thermostat achieves peak flow (wide open). It would keep temp in check as far as any rise above that point, but you will still see a "high" at the thermostat's rating. Overcooling the fluid on a transmission with a thermostat becomes redundant. Modern transmissions and fluids run at higher temps to aid in efficiency due to the lower viscosity of the fluid. The clutches and fluid are designed to handle the increase in temperature.

Last edited by redneck wrencher; 03-13-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Trans Temp Reading