Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer lights randomly dimming...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Trailer lights randomly dimming...

Hey guys, just thought I'd throw this out here since I've gotten nowhere myself or at the dealer...

I have a 2009 FX4. This issue hasnt always been happening. Recently noticed the lights dimming in and out on my 16' enclosed trailer. Happens when I brake, turn, accelerate, cruise... There is no particular order to it and nothing triggers it or stops it. I hooked the trailer up to my friends GMC and no issues. I hooked it up to another friends F-150, no issues. Clearly an issue with my truck.

My first thought was a grounding issue. Checked the ground at the base of the whip where it connects to the OEM harness under the spare. All good. Purchased new OEM wiring assembly and 7pin/4pin connecter. All inclusive wiring setup so proximity sensor wiring replaced as well. Checked all fuses associated with towing and all look good. Could it be a power issue? I have the Kicker Audio upgrade and KC lights drawing off the battery... could it be pulling too much from the battery? If anyone has an idea I'd love to hear it! Thanks all
Old 02-17-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

From my experience, LEDS are sensitive to voltage fluctuations. I would bet it's your amp when the bass kicks. Either try disconnecting amp and not running kc lights to see if issue goes away. If it does at least you narrowed it down. Maybe try adding a capacitor to your system, although it likely won't help.

Last edited by bigwilly11189; 02-17-2017 at 04:20 PM.