Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction control question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Default Traction control question

OK, so we all know traction control kicks in pretty quickly when it is slick out and you mash the gas from a stop.

The other day however, at 60mph on the highway, what was a wet road suddenly turned icy and I found the rear end sliding to the left (I was in the left lane), the front was heading toward the right lane and I saw no lights on the dash (could be I just did not notice them I suppose, I was far more concerned with not going off the road). I lifted my foot off the gas, steered to the left and caught it before even hitting the shoulder (passenger side front tire got as far as the rumble strip).

Was not fun at all less than 100 miles into a 300 mile trip.

Any ideas why the traction control and other nanny stuff that keeps up from having fun would not have kicked in when I probably could have used it? Everything happened real quickly and it was all very smooth when it happened but I thought that is what it was supposed to be there for.

Anyway, snowing today and I've got to go to Fredericton and back (~150 miles each way).

Have a great day all.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wish mine would quit working. The only complaint I have about the truck is that nonsense.
The following users liked this post:
Red13 (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 11screw50
OK, so we all know traction control kicks in pretty quickly when it is slick out and you mash the gas from a stop. The other day however, at 60mph on the highway, what was a wet road suddenly turned icy and I found the rear end sliding to the left (I was in the left lane), the front was heading toward the right lane and I saw no lights on the dash (could be I just did not notice them I suppose, I was far more concerned with not going off the road). I lifted my foot off the gas, steered to the left and caught it before even hitting the shoulder (passenger side front tire got as far as the rumble strip). Was not fun at all less than 100 miles into a 300 mile trip. Any ideas why the traction control and other nanny stuff that keeps up from having fun would not have kicked in when I probably could have used it? Everything happened real quickly and it was all very smooth when it happened but I thought that is what it was supposed to be there for. Anyway, snowing today and I've got to go to Fredericton and back (~150 miles each way). Have a great day all.
I've noticed that the light doesn't always come on but I can usually hear the ABS working to help straighten it out.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MadocHandyman
I've noticed that the light doesn't always come on but I can usually hear the ABS working to help straighten it out.

I've noticed this also. But ive also noticed that sometimes when its doing this, it isnt limiting throttle input at all.

I just figured there were certain parameters that had to be met for each condition.....I really have no clue as the the why and whats of the system.

Know you are not alone though....
Old 12-26-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

just a guess but I would assume if the system did not activate is was because none of the wheels were spinning or locked up! In ice your wheels can still be turning even though you are sliding, just a matter or inertia! If you take a look at some videos of ice road accidents and so on you will see cars sliding all over the place,,, most have the wheels locked as a drivers desperate try to stop however if you look you will see cars going side ways at the tires are still moving. You did the right thing by taking your foot of the gas pedal only as if you would have hit the brake the system would have activated. So again I think if it didn't activate is was due to no spinning or locked up wheels.. I doubt you will get a perfect conditions as you were in again and the system will be doing what it can to get you back in control!
Old 12-26-2013, 12:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

My guess is it has to be under power. If you don't have any throttle input, it doesn't care if things are moving. I don't believe the system has anything to do with keeping a vehicle from sliding, when decelerating for example, only keeping the wheels from breaking loose under acceleration.

I could be completely wrong though.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:13 PM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa D
My guess is it has to be under power. If you don't have any throttle input, it doesn't care if things are moving. I don't believe the system has anything to do with keeping a vehicle from sliding, when decelerating for example, only keeping the wheels from breaking loose under acceleration. I could be completely wrong though.
I did have a few instances when the truck corrected itself while idling. Once I was coasting down a slippery cottage road and had to turn a bit at the bottom. I turned the wheel but the truck was staying straight. The traction control kicked in and it went the direction I intended. All before I even touched the brakes.
Other times, I've gone down my driveway and all 4 tires locked because it was so slick. Thinking the truck wasn't still moving, the ABS didn't even try kicking in. I believe it's to do with the computer sensing what the tires are doing in comparison with each other, steering angles, throttle input etc.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I'd be happy it didn't kick in at that point, seen too many railroaded into ditches by Posi's or limited slip DF's
Truck gets sideways, traction is regained, shoots ya straight into the ditch, or worse, oncoming traffic.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:18 PM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

Toss a few hundred pounds of sand in the back I use play sand from the blue borg. It is cheap easy to carry and take out in the spring. Weight is your friend in the winter. As for TC I have had it save me as well as screw me up. I learned to drive a long time ago before cars and trucks where smarter then the drivers.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I was not disappointed that it did not appear to kick in. I was pretty happy that I managed to keep it on the road. Just seemed odd.

Quick Reply: Traction control question