Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.

Tow hooks (loops) are pretty much useless!

Old 02-09-2019, 03:57 PM

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Tow hooks (loops) are pretty much useless!

In the 8 years I've had my truck, I only wanted or needed to use the tow hooks one time...one time only.

I was using a light-duty recovery strap that had a loop sewn on each end, not the kind with a metal slip hook sewn on the ends. There's barely enough gap between the bumper and the tow hook to stuff the thin nylon strap down and through the hook. I then ran the other loop around the frame of the reese hitch on the disabled vehicle and used a threaded shackle to join the looped ends. Recovery operation was a success.

Are there spacers or aftermarket tow hooks/loops that will allow enough space to put a metal slip hook around the vehicle hook/loop. I would even be happy with a D-ring that is hinged...like the kind that can be bolted or welded on a trailer for tie down points.

A quick google search revealed the same as my OEM ones.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-09-2019, 04:40 PM
Fleet Technician

Received 4,798 Likes on 3,728 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
In the 8 years I've had my truck, I only wanted or needed to use the tow hooks one time...one time only.

I was using a light-duty recovery strap that had a loop sewn on each end, not the kind with a metal slip hook sewn on the ends. There's barely enough gap between the bumper and the tow hook to stuff the thin nylon strap down and through the hook. I then ran the other loop around the frame of the reese hitch on the disabled vehicle and used a threaded shackle to join the looped ends. Recovery operation was a success.

Are there spacers or aftermarket tow hooks/loops that will allow enough space to put a metal slip hook around the vehicle hook/loop. I would even be happy with a D-ring that is hinged...like the kind that can be bolted or welded on a trailer for tie down points.

Any suggestions?
I have to wonder if yours are mounted wrong, I have enough room to put 4 fingers up to my palm into them and I wear an xl glove.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:47 PM

Received 154 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post

Any suggestions?
what year and model?
Old 02-09-2019, 05:21 PM

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

They are a little tight compared to the Super Duty ones. My Expedition and F-150 have about the same size tow hooks but they are easy to access.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:59 PM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 323 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp View Post
I have to wonder if yours are mounted wrong, I have enough room to put 4 fingers up to my palm into them and I wear an xl glove.
I have to agree, pics?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Received 361 Likes on 322 Posts

If you need more space, just use a d ring to attach your tow rope to your truck at the tow hook.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Fleet Technician

Received 4,798 Likes on 3,728 Posts

Originally Posted by jdunk54nl View Post
If you need more space, just use a d ring to attach your tow rope to your truck at the tow hook.
I could put a tug boat rope thru my loops with ease lol. The op's must be mounted wrong, they can be moved back to the next hole by someone not paying attention.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I changed mine to the 98 or older which are longer and they are plug and play.
Look around others have done it
The following users liked this post:
mcfarmall (03-03-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 02:04 PM

Received 506 Likes on 428 Posts

Just used mine to pull my kid's Taco out of a snowbank. His hooks are tiny, had to force my basic towstrap thru the Taco loop by folding it and using actual muscles. Basically dropped it thru mine.

At least he had hooks to use.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:44 AM

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rsylvstr View Post

what year and model?
This line should be showing on my post.
2011 XLT, 4x4, SCREW, 3.5l Ecoboost, 6.5" bed, Max Tow, 3.73ls, camera, Rhino liner, Husky floor mats & splash guards, vent visors, Extang solid fold, Firestone Ride-Rite airbags, Sterling Gray Metallic. Towing a Jayco 23B hybrid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tow hooks (loops) are pretty much useless!

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: