Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tonneau covers

Old 07-29-2012, 09:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default tonneau covers

What are your opinions on tonneau covers when u look them up i really only see the soft ones. Do they hold up, stretch out, rip, fade or what. I don't want to buy one and in a year have to get a new one.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

If you're talking about the vinyl roll-up style, I had one on a '02 Lightning. I traded that truck on a '08 King Ranch, and that roll-up cover still looked and functioned perfectly fine. I just used a vinyl protection product from time-to-time to keep it looking nice and to keep it from drying out.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 AM
woz

I`ve never had a problem with a cover fading out or shrinking!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

I have a truxedo deuce that still looks almost new after two years, but I park in a garage and get my truck detailed a couple times a year. I think they put something on them. If I had to do it all over again I think I would get a www.rolltopcover.com I like the soft one, it works great, water tight except high pressure car washes, no problems, but sometimes I would like just a little more security offered by the hard roll up type. The hard top costs more but offers more security and looks a little nicer I think, but it really depends on what you want, there are a few good covers out there. Some like the bakflip, I don't because I haul lots of stuff and fully open it folds up and blocks the rear window. Lots of people say it leaks too. if you search it there are are many threads about covers. If you are cheap get the soft cover if you want the best, get the roll top retrax cover
Old 07-29-2012, 10:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tux83
What are your opinions on tonneau covers when u look them up i really only see the soft ones. Do they hold up, stretch out, rip, fade or what. I don't want to buy one and in a year have to get a new one.
There are many options in hard covers out there, fiberglass, plastic, folding, paint to match...

Go to autoanything.com and take a look.

I went with an Undercover hard tonneau.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:12 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I went with the factory ford one, pretty happy with it overall.
it does however let some dust in, but I am going to try to put some foam strips on the front where I can see it not sealing should fix it up.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I love my Bakflip F1 and would recommend it to others. I installed it in about 30 minutes and I like the flush look vs a standard tonneau, which IMO looks like an afterthought.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:27 AM
FX2 SuperCrew

I have the Ford vinyl snap-type. Bought it for my 2010 and put it on my 2012... still like new after 2 years. My 2003 Sport Trac had the factory Ford snap-type vinyl one and looked & worked like new when I traded it in 2010 for my Lariat, no broken snaps or anything, which is why I went the same route for my F150's.

As for rolling it up, unsnap the back & sides, pull out the rear brace, reattach 3 or 4 snaps to the loose rear brace and roll it up with the brace inside... makes it easy for one person to do it in no time.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 AM

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I have on fiberglass on on my '04 Lariat. It is solid---can handle a lot of weight on top of it. However, you can never load anything into the box that is higher than the box rails. And it was bad for sucking dust in and you couldn't just open it when driving through rain to wash out the box. Overall there were more cons than pros to the hardtop cover.

I just purchased a Truxedo TruXport and it should arrive in the next few days. I went with it as I can have it over the box, or rolled up against the back windshield so I can load large objects in the box like my ATV. Can't wait to get it installed and try it out!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:48 AM

Ok cool so it seems the soft ones are the better I've always thought the hard tops were better but from the looks of it the soft may be better as long as they are taken care of. I think that's the way I'm going.thanks for the input

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tonneau covers