Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires Rubbing Lower Valence? Describe the Sound / Feel

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Experience with tires Rubbing Lower Valence? Describe the Sound / Feel

After much research on this site and others, I pulled the trigger on BFG 285/65/20 ATs. All of my research told me that they wouldn't rub. I also added an AutoSpring 1.5" leveling.

So, the tires in normal driving conditions don't rub. Lock to lock they don't rub. I did however have them rub when turning into a driveway with a steep incline off of the highway. It startled me a bit as I wasn't expecting this. I took the truck back to the tire shop and the guy there convinced me that the tires had plenty of clearance with the upper control arm and that they were most likely rubbing the lower plastic valence.

When they rubbed it almost felt like I was hitting the brakes (no, the ABS wasn't kicking in). Would the lower valence have enough rigidity to it that it would really cause that much friction against the tire? If so I will trim it!

Here are the before / after shots...

Before:

After:

Last edited by seadoons; 10-30-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 538 Likes on 448 Posts

More than likely the inner fender liner. Take a look in the wheel well and you'll be able to see where it rubbed more than likely
Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 PM

Thanks. I didn't see any obvious marks on the wheel well liners although the tires are close. I would have sworn it was the UCAs but the tires don't have marks on the inside sidewalls to show for it. That is why i'm thinking the lower front bumper valence but didn't think that plastic was strong enough to have that kind of effect on the truck's forward momentum.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Turn the wheel so that the corner of the tire is as close as possible to the valence. See how close it gets. If it looks close, push down on the bumper a bit and flex the suspension. You should be able to tel if it's going to hit.

You probably want at least 1/2" of clearance when sitting on level ground. If you don't have that, then it will probably touch when the suspension compresses (like when you back out of the driveway).

But my guess is that it's the valence. I put 305/55/20s on my truck with a 2" leveling kit and still had to trim the valence. I just cut it completely off at the spot where it turns straight down under the truck.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Colorado

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, it is rubbing on the inner rear valance, right at the bottom tip (about the lower 1/2 inch or so of the corner). I have the same size tires as you (Goodyear Duratracs) and it only rubbed when I was at full lock with the steering wheel turned all the way to the left on the driver side. No rubbing on the other side at all. I could hear each tread hit the valance as the tire rotated so it sounded like a card stuck in a bicycle spoke. When you look at the valance, you can see a slight crease where the valance was flexing when rubbing.

I turned my wheel full lock to the left and trimmed right above where the tire was contacting the valance. Took care of the problem, no more rubbing.

I also have a 2.5" level.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 AM

Alright good deal - thanks for the help. I am just surprised that the valence is that strong. I turned off of a highway into a driveway kindof quickly - probably going 15 MPH. The driveway dropped down, so as might front right tire made the initial dip down (again, wheels turned to the right, going 15 mph) it really rubbed hard and i could feel it through the entire truck.

I've put duct tape on the valence to be sure. I figure the next time it rubs it will tear up the tape and i'll be sure...
Old 10-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Colorado

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The valence is a stiff plastic with a slight fabric texture over the top of it. It's rigid enough that you can feel/hear it when the tire blocks are rubbing against it. Conversely, it's flimsy enough that you can cut through it relatively easy with a pair of scissors or a utility knife.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:29 PM

Following up on this - a year later. I determined that the tires weren't rubbing at all. The traction control is kicking in during certain flex situations and it feels like the tires are rubbing but I think it is something with the traction control applying the brakes.

Quick Reply: Tires Rubbing Lower Valence? Describe the Sound / Feel