Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure monitoring question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Pressure monitoring question

Just had new rims installed. They did not install the tire pressure monitors. I have them in my cup holder currently. I have the tpms fault light on dash. Am I screwed til they are installed back inside tire? I tried the relearn process but won’t reset
Old 06-10-2019, 03:18 AM

Received 154 Likes on 90 Posts

How important is the tpms to you? You could use forscan to disable it.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:13 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Sudsmcduff
Just had new rims installed. They did not install the tire pressure monitors. I have them in my cup holder currently. I have the tpms fault light on dash. Am I screwed til they are installed back inside tire? I tried the relearn process but won’t reset
They must be in the wheels for TPMS to see them. Since you had them, why would you not have had them installed on the new rims?
Old 06-10-2019, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
They must be in the wheels for TPMS to see them. Since you had them, why would you not have had them installed on the new rims?
I didn’t think they worked. The tire shop didn’t tell me just gave me them after.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:55 AM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

if you didn't have the error before then they worked, obviously if i were you i would go right back to the tire place today and tell them to install the sensors they left out of the wheels, and if they try to give you any crap stand your ground. my guess is the tire guy forgot to put them on the first and maybe second wheels when they installed the new tires and decided it was easier to just not install any of them vs going back and correcting the mistake.
The following 2 users liked this post by nineball:
rsylvstr (09-13-2019), Taggart (09-12-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by nineball
if you didn't have the error before then they worked, obviously if i were you i would go right back to the tire place today and tell them to install the sensors they left out of the wheels, and if they try to give you any crap stand your ground. my guess is the tire guy forgot to put them on the first and maybe second wheels when they installed the new tires and decided it was easier to just not install any of them vs going back and correcting the mistake.
I did bring them the tires off the truck. The sensors where zip tyed to the rim. I will try and see what they say
Old 09-12-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If they are sitting in your cupholder you will only see 0psi in your IPC. After 20 minutes or so you will most likely get tpms faults.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:07 PM
Captain of Industry

Received 1,203 Likes on 809 Posts

TPMS batteries eventually fail and then you have to replace the sensor, but in my 8-year-old F-150 only one has failed so far. I just waited and had it replaced with the next set of tires. The rest still work. On my previous vehicle, all the sensors were still working when I sold it after 8 years. I'd definitely make the knuckleheads at the tire shop put them back in.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:40 PM

Received 1,283 Likes on 902 Posts

The TPMS sensors in my 07 Tacoma are still working, but 12 years is much longer than normal. About 10 is typical. If I had an 8-9 year old truck I'd buy new sensors before having the next set of tires installed. You can pick up sensors now for $15-$20 each and tire stores will install them free when you buy tires. Having them installed later is going to run $10-$20 per tire depending on location.

Not all TPMS sensors are the same. I don't know the exact years, but sensors from some model years use a different frequency than other years and are not compatible. I'm unclear. The tire store COULD have taken the old sensors out of the original wheels and they should have worked unless the batteries were dead. If the new wheels came with TPMS sensors zip tied to them the tire store should have installed them. IF THEY WERE THE CORRECT SENSORS. They may have been the wrong sensors, or with dead batteries, which would explain why they didn't install them.

A lot of people bypass the warning light, or ignore it, but my advice is to replace them with working sensors. Spending $60-$80 every 8-12 years for new sensors isn't that big of a deal. And they do work. Not to replace an air gauge, but to warn drivers of a sudden tire deflation while driving. Running over road debris that punches a large hole in the tire will let all the air out in about 30 seconds. That 30 second warning will allow you to get to the shoulder of the road and at least slow down if not stop before it goes flat. Much better than having the tire come apart at 70 mph with no warning.
The following users liked this post:
Sudsmcduff (09-13-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 07:21 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

The years for F150 are 14 and older vs 15 and newer. The are the same frequency, but are still not compatible.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure monitoring question